IMPORTANT: El Capitan Compatibility [UPDATE: 3.5.4 approved]

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms IMPORTANT: El Capitan Compatibility [UPDATE: 3.5.4 approved]

Viewing 40 reply threads
  • Author

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey There,

If Tap Forms doesn’t load the main window for you when you’ve recently updated to El Capitan, go to the Security & Privacy settings in the System Preferences app and click on Contacts, and make sure that Tap Forms is checked. Then launch Tap Forms and you’ll see your data again.

[UPDATE: Oct 1, 4:35 pm MST] Apple has approved version 3.5.4 and I have released the update. You will still probably need to grant access to the Contacts database for that version though and the direct Mac Trial version is still newer. I’ll be releasing another update of the direct version later today.

So Apple is releasing OS X 10.11 El Capitan sometime today. About a week ago I submitted an update to Apple that provides Tap Forms compatibility with El Capitan. Unfortunately Apple has not yet begun to review my update. Version 3.5.4 is compatible with El Capitan. The current version 3.5.3 is not quite compatible. There are some issues which I addressed in version 3.5.4.

If you are planning on upgrading to El Capitan today, I would recommend you go to my home page and download the Mac Trial version. Since it’s available directly from my website and not through the Mac App Store, I am able to provide more frequent updates to correct bugs. The only thing different about the direct download version is that it does not support iCloud Drive for syncing. If you are using Dropbox for syncing, I would recommend you switch to the direct download version. There won’t be any charge for it as long as you still have the Mac App Store version installed when you launch the direct download version.

You can tell the difference between them because the Mac App Store version’s icon says “Tap Forms” whereas the direct download version’s icon says “Tap Forms Mac”. And also the version number of “Tap Forms Mac” is newer than the Mac App Store version.

Just thought I’d let you know in case you decide either to hold off upgrading or want to continue with the upgrade but have a version of Tap Forms which is compatible with El Capitan.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 30, 2015 at 9:40 PM #14778

Mark Hamilton
    Participant

I installed El Capitan today and tried downloading the free trial as you suggested. It opens just as the Mac store version does, but it doesn’t bring up my database.

My TapForms_db.sqlite database still shows as last written earlier today before I installed El Capitan.

Is there anything else I should be doing to access my database after installing the trial version?

September 30, 2015 at 9:47 PM #14780

Brendan
    Keymaster

Do you mean the trial version shows you a different database or nothing at all?

The trial version looks in the same location as the Mac App Store version for the database file, namely:

~/Library/Containers/com.tapforms.mac/Data/Documents/TapForms_db.sqlite

September 30, 2015 at 9:49 PM #14781

Mark Hamilton
    Participant

It shows nothing at all. When I look at the file you listed above it still shows as last updated earlier this afternoon just before I installed El Capitan.

September 30, 2015 at 11:43 PM #14783

Brendan
    Keymaster

Can you check to see if Tap Forms has access to the Contacts database in the Security and Privacy settings in the System Preferences app? If not, enable it and try launching it again.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 30, 2015 at 11:49 PM #14784

Mark Hamilton
    Participant

Brilliant…it worked right away! Thanks for a quick fix, Brendan. I use this database every day with my business and it would have forced me to go revert my OS if you hadn’t solved this so fast.

I just tried to open version 3.5.3 from the App store after allowing access to Contacts and it seems to be working too.

October 1, 2015 at 2:22 AM #14786

Leo
    Participant

Some issues….the whole bunch of linked forms are stirred and shaken.

but, the trial resolve the problem.

Let’s hope Apple has the new version reviewed before the 10 days I have left.

Leo

October 1, 2015 at 4:05 AM #14787

Leo
    Participant

Sorry, spoke too soon.

Syncing over Dropbox doesn’t seems to work with the trail.

If I change to the original Taprooms and sync from there, syncing is done in a split second.
    Do I need to reset syncing again. I rather not because of the time.

Leo

October 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM #14796

Felipe Lopez
    Participant

Brendan
    Downloaded El Capt, My encrypted TF would not launch after I key in the password.

Downloaded the trial copy per post above. Same behavior as with the original though.

Any suggestions ?

October 1, 2015 at 10:33 AM #14799

Brendan
    Keymaster

Felipe,

Did you grant Tap Forms access to the Contacts in the Security & Privacy settings in the System Preferences app?

Thanks,

Brendan

October 1, 2015 at 11:04 AM #14806

Felipe Lopez
    Participant

Brendan:
    Just did and it worked. Tks so much for your help. BTW Absolute love the app. Constantly use it all day long for many work and personal related tasks .Cust Service is great too !.

October 1, 2015 at 2:36 PM #14812

Brendan
    Keymaster

By the way, I’ve fixed this Contact access bug and I will be posting it to my website later today. Apple has also just begun reviewing my 3.5.4 update a few moments ago. They still may reject it for whatever reason and I may have to submit a new build, which will probably take another week to review unfortunately. The direct download version will always be the most current release.

October 2, 2015 at 11:47 AM #14824

kenclarkeis
    Participant

I am running 3.5.4.5 from direct download. The dropbox sync is not working. I can’t see a way of adding security permissions to Tap Forms Mac in the Privacy setting. Do you have instructions for this? Does this fix the sync problem or do I still need to wait for a new version?

October 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM #14825

Leo
    Participant

Hi Ken,

I had the same.

Just disable dropboxsync and enable it again. Be sure Dropbox is asking for permission. That did the trick with me.

Leo

October 2, 2015 at 1:32 PM #14827

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ken, the version you have doesn’t suffer from the Privacy issue with Contacts. Only the Mac App Store version does. I’ve just submitted 3.5.5 to fix that for the Mac App Store and also 3.5.5 for the direct download version.

October 2, 2015 at 4:05 PM #14833

Derrick Everett
    Participant

Brendan,

I’m having similar issues that many others have described. I’m running El Capitan but when I launch Tap Forms on my Mac, my files is not visible. I have the Tap Forms menu but nothing else. I’ve located my backups but they’re all Zip files with only an executable file inside. What would you suggest that I do to be able to access and run Tap Forms on El Capitan? Should I go to your homepage and download the Mac trial version? And how does one get to your homepage?

October 2, 2015 at 9:43 PM #14834

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Derrick,

You’ll need to grant Tap Forms access to the Contacts in your Security & Privacy settings in the System Preferences app.

I’ve submitted 3.5.5 to Apple which removes this requirement. But until they review my update, you’ll need to do that to get going again.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 2, 2015 at 10:11 PM #14838

Derrick Everett
    Participant

Yay! It works again.

That was easy.

Thanks,
    Derrick

October 2, 2015 at 11:55 PM #14839

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

There is no way to sync ! src=”https://www.dropbox.com/s/bew4ob4us509br7/Capture%20d%E2%80%99%C3%A9cran%202015-10-03%20%C3%A0%2008.51.48.jpg?dl=0″ alt=”” />

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 3, 2015 at 4:10 AM #14844

kenclarkeis
    Participant

Version 3.5.5 Build 685 is constantly crashing and still will not sync. I am having a lot more problems with this version. I have reset the dropbox sync several times. I am going to try reseting everything and restoring from backup. Then setting up again from scratch on all my devices. I am going to use the version on the App Store as this feels more stable and I don’t want to have to keep manually upgrading. I use Tap Forms on a laptop, desktop, iPad and iPhone. I am getting a little tired of doing this! I was hoping the Dropbox sync would be more reliable than the icloud one.

October 3, 2015 at 4:41 AM #14845

kenclarkeis
    Participant

I am now using 3.5.4 on both Macs and sync is working again. It also doesn’t appear to crash. I am not sure if this is down to the version or something in the database. I deleted all the sync data from Dropbox and restored from a backup.

Is it possible to have a way of when syncing for first time to delete all local data. It is a pain having to manually delete all the default forms created on first run.

October 3, 2015 at 10:54 AM #14848

Mike Beck
    Participant

Same issue as many others. Just updated to El Capitan and TF launches (or seems to) but the database is not visible. I have an urgent need to use the data base in the next day or two and am wondering if a fix will be ready or should I just revert back to Yosemite? Thanks.

October 3, 2015 at 10:58 AM #14851

Leo
    Participant

Mike,

the answer is just 5 messages back.

You’ll need to grant Tap Forms access to the Contacts in your Security & Privacy settings in the System Preferences app.

October 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM #14855

Brendan
    Keymaster

Mike,

I have submitted version 3.5.5 to Apple which fixes this bug with the main screen not loading without Tap Forms having access to your contacts first. But yes, as Leo mentioned, a few messages back are the instructions.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 3, 2015 at 11:03 AM #14856

Derrick Everett
    Participant

Yes to what Leo just said.

Mike, it’s a snap, you’ll be restored in a matter of seconds.

October 3, 2015 at 11:27 AM #14858

Mike Beck
    Participant

Followed instructions to allow TF to have access to my Contacts and it worked like a charm. Database is now visible. Seems to be working fine. Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated.

October 4, 2015 at 1:37 AM #14875

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

Downloaded and installed Tap Forms Mac 3.5.5 on my iMac and my MacBook Air.

How could I sync if it isn’t the same number on these photos ?

I think I have done all the operations to resync: re-initialisation of sync / activate after a certain time…

Attachments:
    October 4, 2015 at 1:54 AM #14878

Leo
    Participant

Try this:

disable sync and the enable it. Dropbox should ask for permission.

October 4, 2015 at 4:47 AM #14879

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

Thanks, but doesn’t work…

October 4, 2015 at 5:15 AM #14880

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

Look what happens !

Attachments:
    October 4, 2015 at 6:53 AM #14882

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

Ok, problem solved ! it works quite good in the two directions. Thanks Leo for the help !

October 4, 2015 at 6:53 AM #14883

Leo
    Participant

Did you did it on both machines? Or just the macbook?

October 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM #14887

Hans
    Participant

I upgraded to El Capitan OS and use the App Store version 3.5.4. and I granted TapForms.app in de Contacts, but after giving in the password the app crashes on my Mac. I see some “solutions” in downloading trials etc. but rather want to wait until things are fixed properly. I use the database for business and cannot risk anything. Can you tell me when things are fixed and in the meantime, is it save to use iPad/iPhone version to browse and update data? (I use iCloud sync)
    Thanks for your answer/help.

October 4, 2015 at 12:51 PM #14891

Jean-Marie Bellec
    Participant

On both

October 4, 2015 at 3:43 PM #14894

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Hans,

The crashing issue should go away after you’ve granted Tap Forms access to your contacts. You’re saying that even though you did that, you’re still unable to get in after you enter your encryption key?

The version on my website is newer than the Mac App Store version. In fact, I just uploaded a new version today and also sent the same update to Apple for review. But it takes them a week at least to review an app update.

You can at least just try the version on my website to see if that fixes the problem, then you can go back to using the Mac App Store version.

October 4, 2015 at 11:20 PM #14908

Hans
    Participant

After granting access from contacts the app still crashed after giving ‘enter’ to the password. I downloaded the trial, but when I purchased from App Store I didn’t get a license key. What do I fill in there?
    The trial doesn’t seem to let iCloud sync enable? (see screenshot)

Attachments:
    October 5, 2015 at 12:37 AM #14911

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Hans,

The trial version doesn’t have iCloud support. Only Dropbox. That’s even after you get a license.

Try launching it again. It should give you a free license if you previously purchased a Mac App Store version.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 5, 2015 at 11:05 PM #14933

Hans
    Participant

Just to let you know how things went… I installed the direct download trial version. The databases came up now, but, as you said, no iCloud sync. But… after closing and starting the App Store version again all worked fine (and can use iCloud again). Problem solved and thanks for your help.

October 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM #14999

John Tedesco
    Participant

So the problem I’m running into now is that Tap forms isn’t syncing properly. I had 53 records at work. Added 3 more at home and synced. Work still reflects 53 records. I added one record at work and was able to get my home computer to reflect that update showing 59 records total. but work still shows 53. Toggling back and forth between icloud and dropbox sync doesn’t help and Tap forms repeatedly crashes when doing so. Running Version 3.5.4 and 3.5.6 doesn’t sync with dropbox files either.

October 17, 2015 at 7:28 AM #15014

John Tedesco
    Participant

I have fixed this issue myself, finally after upgradeing to 3.5.5. TF… TF periodically crashes now.. not a big deal as the database doesn’t get corrupted or anything, just something you might want to look into. Also the lag in the syncing could be nicer, because it takes a bit of time. But overall it works.

October 17, 2015 at 10:05 PM #15021

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve just submitted 3.5.6 to Apple for review which fixes some crashing issues. One specifically involved clicking the Cloud Sync popover, then displaying the Preferences window, then closing the Preferences window.

June 6, 2016 at 7:27 AM #17234

thewinterbard
    Participant

I’ve just installed El Capitan, and Tap Forms is behaving very oddly–all the data is there, but I can’t actually see the main spreadsheet, just the detailed entry view below. I can click on things in the spreadsheet (though I don’t know what I’ll click until I do!), so the computer knows what’s there, it just won’t display it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

June 6, 2016 at 4:31 PM #17240

Brendan
    Keymaster

It sounds like the spreadsheet view is just hiding? Is there the divider bar between the top and bottom? Can you drag that up or down? What about the little expand/collapse button? It looks like a square with an arrow in it pointing up or down.

You could also try switching to the single-column list view and dragging some of the panel dividers around then switch back to the multi-column list view.

Another thing you can try to reset all the settings (window positions, panel sizes, etc.) is to launch the Terminal application in your Utilities folder, then quit Tap Forms, then copy and paste the following command into the Terminal window:

defaults delete com.tapforms.mac

Press the Return key after.

Then re-launch Tap Forms.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 7, 2016 at 12:38 AM #17250

thewinterbard
    Participant

I’m still stuck! Argh.

Interestingly, when I first re-opened the program, it was on single-column list view, so it was only when I put it back to multi-column that I noticed the problem. I’ve since switched it back and forth again, adjusting dividers in both views, without effect.

It’s not that it’s hidden–as I said, there’s a very large blank space where I can click and interact with the fields (switching between entries in the detailed view, selecting different items from the drop-down fields if that’s what I land on), they’re just not physically visible to me. I’ve got the dividers roughly 50/50 as I always have, and have also tried seeing if running a search might prompt it to show something else, but it’s still only the column headers that remain visible. (I’ve also tried adding and removing columns from view, which it recognizes, but still won’t show content.) I can send a screen cap if that would help.

As for the terminal command, I happened to have stumbled on another thread where that was discussed and tried it, but nothing changed.

Thanks for your help! If there are any other suggestions you can think of I’d really appreciate it, but I realize it’s something of a sticky situation…

Viewing 40 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.