Editing List Values

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

John Parker
    Participant

I’m a little confused about the behavior of pick list values. If I create a list (say Easy, Medium, Hard) and assign it to fields/records in various forms, if I later want to rename “Hard” to “Difficult” (or delete it altogether), that change doesn’t propagate to the records currently assigned to that value. It then becomes difficult to trust whether a record’s assigned values actually reflect the list values in the preferences.

There is a dialog warning, so I guess this behavior is a feature? Perhaps there’s a script that can propagate these value changes? Even with a script, you would still have to track down which fields reference the pick list you are modifying. Currently, I have to go through and manually reassign values for every record in every form that references the modified list value, which is a huge pain.

July 19, 2023 at 6:16 PM #49706

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi John,

Pick Lists just copy the value into the text field they’re assigned to. There’s no relationship to the value after you’ve selected it.

One solution to this issue is to use the Advanced Find & Replace function to rename the old value to the new value. On the Mac version.

Thanks,

Brendan

July 19, 2023 at 11:19 PM #49710

John Parker
    Participant

Ah I seeā€”that is very helpful to know!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.