Duplicating records

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Andrew Jolly
    Participant

Can you duplicate or copy a record in one form and paste it into another form or forms?

November 29, 2020 at 10:34 AM #42756

Daniel Leu
    Participant

TapForms doesn’t provide native support for this, but you can implement this using its scripting engine. Although my example shows how to copy data between documents where ALL FIELDS are identical, you can do this between forms as well. Again ALL FIELDS need to be identical!

Details are at https://lab.danielleu.com/blog/copying-record-data-between-documents/

November 29, 2020 at 12:22 PM #42757

Andrew Jolly
    Participant

Thank you. I understand what you’re trying to do but what do I do with that script you’ve created?

November 29, 2020 at 1:49 PM #42759

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

There is one way to do this, but you have to be careful.

If you’re using the multi-column list view on the Mac version, you can click on a row, then press command-c to copy the contents of that row. Then switch to another form, create a new row, then click the first cell of it and then paste (command-v). However, the fields cannot be complex field types such as photos, file attachments, link to form fields, etc. And the fields absolutely must be in the same order as they are on the original form.

I’ve heard from customers before who want to do this kind of thing when they’re not that familiar with the concept of Saved Searches in Tap Forms. They sometimes want to use different forms to hold different types of the same kind of data. But in Tap Forms it’s best to let Tap Forms do the work for you and create one or more Saved Searches to filter your records based on a field you have in your form. For example, in the My Movie Library form, the Genre field could be used to create Saved Searches for the different genres of movies. To move a record from one search results list to another, you simply change the Genre field (in this example) and Tap Forms will do the filtering for you.

You do this rather than copying and pasting records between forms.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 29, 2020 at 6:56 PM #42764

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Ahh… that’s nifty! Didn’t know that this would work.

November 30, 2020 at 7:49 AM #42767

Andrew Jolly
    Participant

That is so amazingly simple, once you know how to do it (multiple column view) and it works just as I’d like. Thanks so much.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.