Duplicating iCloud icons

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi Brenden,

I don’t know when it started but I just realized there are duplicate database icons appearing on my iOS devices.

For example, I have a database document called “Condos” on my Mac and iOS devices which I have been using iCloud sync for a while. There are now duplicate icons appearing for these databases on the iOS devices, e.g. “Condos copy 1”, with the iCloud picture on the lower left corner of the database icon. (See attached)

Do you know what happened? Can I safely delete them?

Thanks,
    Aik Pin

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 27, 2018 at 11:07 PM #27518

Brendan
    Keymaster

If the cloud download icon appears on the icon it means there’s no data inside that document yet. You can delete it. Just don’t delete from iCloud when prompted.

I’ve seen that happen to me too, but I think it was because I sometimes run both against the production and test versions of Apple’s CloudKit servers.

You can just remove them.

February 28, 2018 at 11:24 PM #27526

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

ok thks

May 8, 2018 at 2:00 PM #28613

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi Brenden,

The problem stil persist. After I deleted them, it reappears. And after a while, multiple copies appeared. e.g. copy 1, copy 2, copy 3, copy 4

I have to go through the whole process of deleting all the iCloud icons everyday.

Can you help?

Thanks!
    Aik Pin

May 8, 2018 at 7:24 PM #28615

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve been trying to reproduce this bug. It has happened to me, but unfortunately I wasn’t running via Xcode at the time. I deleted the copies and they didn’t come back.

Maybe try disabling iCloud from the original file, then delete from iCloud. Then delete the copies. Then re-enable iCloud on the original.

Hopefully the copies won’t come back.

I’ll keep trying to figure out why it’s going this.

Sorry for the trouble.

May 10, 2018 at 11:51 PM #28637

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

It seemed to me it happens more often with those documents that has been moved to a folder.

Can you try it out and see if you can duplicate it?

Create a folder and move some of the documents there. See if the multiple copies issues appeared on these documents.

Thanks,
    Aik Pin

May 11, 2018 at 12:47 AM #28638

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ah ok! I’ve been testing it just with documents at the top level.

Thanks for the extra details. I’ll test that too.

June 2, 2018 at 7:21 PM #28884

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Have you managed to test this out? Able to replicate this?

Aik Pin

June 2, 2018 at 8:31 PM #28887

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have not yet been able to reproduce the issue on demand. I have a breakpoint at the exact location in my code where Tap Forms creates a new document placeholder, but so far the only time it’s been triggered is whenever I deleted a document without also deleting it from iCloud. So I’m still trying.

June 9, 2018 at 8:19 PM #29020

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

If you just delete the document without deleting it from iCloud, do you get multiple duplicating icons also? e.g. Copy 1, Copy 2, Copy 3

June 15, 2018 at 9:15 PM #29106

Aik Pin Ng
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

How do I see the “path” of the document that is being saved in iCloud? Could it be because at first the document was in the “root” folder and there’s a copy saved to iCloud. And then I moved the document to a inside a folder. Then another copy was created in iCloud. So there’s 2 duplicate copies in iCloud and the one in the “root” folder is trying to “sync” itself and that’s the reason for the duplicate icons?

Aik Pin

June 16, 2018 at 12:04 AM #29108

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve been trying to look out for this situation, but I have not seen it in a while.

The documents are stored in Apple’s CloudKit servers based upon the internal Document ID of the Tap Forms document. You should only ever have a single copy of the same document on each device. You can see the Document ID on the Sync Settings screen and on the Document Info screen. It starts with “db-” and has a bunch of random characters after it.

I don’t think moving the document to a sub-folder should cause this issue because of the unique Document IDs. But if you have different documents with the same internal Document ID, then this can cause a problem with syncing.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.