Duplicate data from one field into another within same table

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Duplicate data from one field into another within same table

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Stephen
    Participant

Hi,

I have used a concat formula in a calculation field to build a record specific URL based on the contents of a record field. The resulting output is displayed as QR code, all works well, the intended page is correctly resolved when scanned.

The URL is also displayed in the form layout as plain text under the QR code, but is not easily tappable. I would like to have a tappable URL field on the same form with the same generated link. I went down the road of creating a URL field and trying to define the calc field as the ‘default value’ but either there is no chance of this working as that is a global setting, or I’m simply formatting it wrong, either way – no luck so far…

How should I be going about this?

Many thanks, Stephen.

February 22, 2018 at 6:27 PM #27441

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

If you surround a field name in square brackets and stick that in your URL, Tap Forms will replace the field name and square brackets with the value obtained from that field in that record at the moment you click on the globe button to visit the web page.

Use a Website Address field for this purpose.

You could also just set the Default Value of the Website Address field to something like this:

https://www.tapforms.com/forums/[Forum Name]

So if you had a field called Forum Name in your form, when you clicked on the globe button, [Forum Name] would be substituted with the value of the Forum Name field.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 22, 2018 at 6:45 PM #27442

Stephen
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

what you’ve said does make sense, but it’s still not working for me at the moment.

I was trying with pointy <> brackets to specify an existing field value, so that’s one question covered! but is it possible to call the result of the barcode URL calculation field directly into the tappable URL field type?

Essentially, within the same layout I’m looking for the QR code (all good) and the human usable copy of the same dynamically generated URL in an easily tappable URL field.

At the moment, even after entering a complete URL in the Default Value box, tapping the globe does not launch my browser.

Sorry, maybe I’m not quite following you right.

Thanks, Stephen.

Edit: I followed your instructions more expicitly and yes, when entering a webpage address into the URL field in the regular ‘browse’ view the correct page is loaded (even with a dynamic field value being substituted) But I am still struggling to get the easy to use Globe icon to launch my calculated URL.

Regards, Stephen.

February 22, 2018 at 10:19 PM #27444

Brendan
    Keymaster

How is the URL “calculated”? Is it something more than just the normal substitution that works on the regular website address field?

If you send me your form template I can look into it.

The QR code value doesn’t have the globe button next to it, so it’s not clickable to open the URL.

February 22, 2018 at 10:44 PM #27445

Brendan
    Keymaster

I just realize that I didn’t have support for displaying the Website field as a barcode. I’ve just rectified that.

February 23, 2018 at 12:31 AM #27446

Brendan
    Keymaster

I just added the globe button to the barcode if the field being used is a Website field. See attachment.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    February 23, 2018 at 2:21 AM #27448

Stephen
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks, as always for your advice and swift responses.

Maybe I didn’t explain myself very well with this issue… I always knew the subject line wasn’t terribly clear. So apologies for that.

The calculation came in as a way to construct the URL using the CONCAT function (I was unaware of how to, or even that you could, insert a field within a hard coded URL string).

Knowing what I know now, and given the changes you are making, it looks like I will simply be able to use the Website field type, select QR type barcode output & format my form layout to be both ‘machine’ (QR) & human (Globe button) useable.

Thanks, Stephen.

February 23, 2018 at 10:57 AM #27450

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Stephen,

Yes, that’s right with the changes I’ve made.

I’ll deploy a new version soon with the updates. Then you won’t need to use the Calculation field to construct your URL.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.