Dropbox and iCloud sync pros/cons

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

LeoC2
    Participant

I know this has been mentioned several times but I’d like to elaborate on this a bit.

I’ve set up TF to use in the field in my car show judging. So far testing is going well and we’ll be using it for the first time at a show in April.

My biggest complaint is that I am forced to use iCloud which means all units must be on the same iCloud account through IOS settings. I’ve had to purchase several iPods just so everyone can be on the same account… mine.

If using iCloud why does TF have to use the iCloud account of the IOS device? Why can’t it sign into whatever the user wants it to? This way we can have our users use their own IOS device to sync to the main account.

A Dropbox sync should, in my opinion, be a better choice. The person setting up the form can also create a special “shared” folder in Dropbox which all IOS devices using a particular form can sync through. Access to the shared folder is then set up in each IOS device.I do this now in Notability and Sandvox.

All that being said I would still like to see at some point the ability to sync locally through a laptop or iPad as a “server” so to speak set up as a local network. This helps when no wifi or cell service is available.

All that being said, any idea when at least Dropbox sync will be available and will it work as described above?

March 21, 2015 at 2:33 PM #13208

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

As I replied to you in your email, I’m using the Dropbox Sync API which has no ability to access a shared folder. All devices must be logged into the same Dropbox account.

With iCloud, Apple never provided a way for an individual application to login to a different iCloud account. It’s supposed to be a “plug-and-play” type affair without requiring any logins since you’re assumed to already be logged into iCloud. It would have been great if Apple provided an application level login system. But they don’t.

The same issue exists with Dropbox due to the limitations of the Dropbox Sync API. But it will be better with Dropbox because it won’t affect your other services, such as Calendar, Notes, Reminders, Mail, iCloud Drive, etc.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 21, 2015 at 2:56 PM #13209

LeoC2
    Participant

Once implemented this will open up a whole new world pf applications for TF! Imagine just telling an associate on the other side of the world to purchase TF, enter data into a form you send them, and it syncs with all users!

April 5, 2015 at 7:30 PM #13294

David Oakley
    Participant

I’m interested in this one too. i live in an area with marginal internet coverage, so I don’t really want to get into iCloud problems, but I do want to have other people/devices to have access.

I encourage you, Brendan, in your Dropbox Sync efforts. In the meantime, can someone advise how/if I can just manually copy a Tap Forms database from my Yosemite iMac to my iOS8 iPad?

Dave

April 6, 2015 at 8:19 PM #13307

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Dave,

Well, Dropbox sync will still need an Internet connection, so you may still have some troubles if you have spotty Internet.

You can use the Backup & Restore function to get your data from your Mac to your iPad. Use iTunes File Sharing to copy your backup file you make from the Mac over to your iPad. Any backup files you put into the Tap Forms Documents area in iTunes File Sharing will appear in the Backup & Restore screen. Once the file is there, tap on it and then tap on the Restore Backup button.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.