Ditching iCloud sync for Nearby…best method for switching ?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Ditching iCloud sync for Nearby…best method for switching ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Zippidty Doodah
    Participant

I am going to switch all my database documents over to Nearby sync.

I do have some new databases already setup for Nearby sync as follows:
    Using Mac as ‘parent’ database
    Using iPad 1 as a child connected back to the Mac thru sync settings
    Using iPad 2 as a child connected back to the Mac thru sync settings
    Both iPads are connected in the Mac sync settings

What’s the best practice for switching the iCloud syncing database documents over to Nearby sync and not losing data and have the new Nearby sync just work?

Can I just turn on nearby sync on?
    What happens to changes I’ve made either on the Mac or one of the iPads? Right now I see new information on iPad 1 that are not on the Mac.

Thought I read in a forum post something about you will have to uncheck iCloud and maybe even delete the iCloud database before Nearby will work correctly?

November 8, 2022 at 2:25 AM #48215

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, that’s right. Just disable iCloud sync, then click on the Delete from iCloud button.

Then switch to Nearby Sync and add the iPads to the Mac. Then add the Mac to both iPads. That way you’ll get two-way sync. If you only do one side, then that’s only a one-way sync.

It’s best to have one device be the central device. So the Mac is a good device for that. iPad 1 and iPad 2 should not have each other listed on the Nearby Sync screen. They will each get the records from each other by way of syncing with the Mac.

November 8, 2022 at 8:12 AM #48216

Zippidty Doodah
    Participant

Hey Brandon,

Just clarification for my brain.

1. First, disable iCloud sync on ALL devices? (Mac, iPad 1, iPad 2)
    2. Second, click on the Delete from iCloud button on ALL devices? (Mac, iPad 1, iPad 2)
    3. Then switch to Nearby Sync? On ALL devices? (Mac, iPad 1, iPad 2)
    4. Now, add the iPads to the Mac (from the iPad sync setting window)
    5. Conversely, add the Mac to both iPads (via the Mac’s sync settings)

4 and 5 ensure 2-way sync.

At that point I should see the changes I mentioned above that are only on iPad 1 sync back to the Mac (?)

Side note: When looking for an alternative to Bento, I purchased FileMaker Pro. In all it’s glory, FMP was just too much. Finding TapForms saved me many hours of database creation. Because it just works. And as you have refined TapForms, I have been able to refine my databases. I’m still learning that TapForms contains many more refinements than I am currently using (scripts, etc) I so appreciate your continued support of a much needed app for the Mac and the ability to use iPads on location.

TIA for the additional clarification.

November 9, 2022 at 1:42 AM #48217

Brendan
    Keymaster

You don’t have to click the Delete from iCloud button on every device. Because there’s only one iCloud and by deleting from iCloud, you’re deleting the document stored on iCloud. It won’t do any harm to do it on each device, but it won’t do anything either if the document had already been deleted once.

You are correct in the other items.

And thanks for your kind words! I’m glad you’re finding Tap Forms useful. I’m always working on new things that will be coming to Tap Forms in the future. So stay tuned!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.