Disabling rich text in the note field.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Hi, when I copy and paste some text into a note field it retains all of the rich text formatting from the source it was copied from. Is there a way to force disable the rich text formatting in the note field?

Thanks. :)

December 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM #8346

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Clint,

Not at the moment, but I’ll think about adding a button or command for something like that. Not ideal, but if I need to remove all formatting I usually paste into TextWrangler first and then copy it from there.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 20, 2013 at 4:49 AM #8358

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Hi Brendan, thanks for the workaround. I would have tried something along those lines. Not having much time yet to delve into the new update, I just wondered if the feature was there and perhaps I wasn’t seeing it. It would be great if a button could be implemented to switch from rich to normal editing in the note field text editor.

Thanks again.

Clint

December 20, 2013 at 10:59 AM #8362

Brendan
    Keymaster

Another option might be a Paste as Plain Text function in the Edit menu or something. Just thinking out loud here.

December 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM #8364

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Sounds good, perhaps a toggle button. Some forum text editors have them.

December 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM #8398

RicD
    Participant

Hi Clint,
    Here is what I do, open Text Edit save on the desktop one as plain text another as rich text. When I need rich text to plain text I copy/paste into the Text Edit I have labeled Plain Text then copy/paste from there to TapForms or as needed another program.

Though Text Wrangler is an outstanding program, for my needs Text Edit works quite well.

December 22, 2013 at 7:43 PM #8403

Brendan
    Keymaster

TextWrangler is also a free product and it does not support rich text, so whatever you paste in will always be in plain text. TextEdit supports plain and rich text so you have to explicitly set it to plain text whereas in TextWrangler it’s just automatic.

December 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM #8460

John Martin
    Participant

I use a couple of small free utilities that let me paste plain text in any application.

The free Plain Clip is a tiny application that removes formatting from text which is on the clipboard. It includes additional options such as, for example, removing line breaks so text wraps normally. It’s available here: http://www.bluem.net/en/mac/plain-clip/.

Plain Clip can be run as a standalone application that removes formatting from whatever text is on the clipboard, which you can then paste as unformatted text. I use a small free keyboard manager that runs Plain Clip whenever I press Command-F1 and then pastes the text uses Command-V. I get unformatted text with a single keystroke in every application! Spark is available here: http://www.shadowlab.org/Software/spark.php.

Note: To run Plain Clip with Spark, you have to set it up as an AppleScript action. The Plain Clip page notes you can also call it from a text expansion utility such as TypeIt4Me.

— John Martin

December 25, 2013 at 4:33 AM #8474

Clint Mitchell
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. Merry Christmas. Loving this app Brendan.

December 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM #8481

Brendan
    Keymaster

Merry Christmas to you guys too!

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.