Designing Layout Views

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Kirk Oakes
    Participant

I am starting to play around with the layout designer area and I am now falling more in love with the way I can make it look more visual. I see where I can select designing for screen, printer, or labels.

My question is this…
    When I design for a screen and then click on the printer. Does this design separately and the database will know what I am using it for or does a change in one view disrupt the view of the screen and vise versa?

I hope I made since describing it.

March 22, 2018 at 4:44 PM #27927

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kirk,

You can create multiple custom layouts, some targeted for printing, some for screen, and some for printing. That button is the choice you make for the currently selected layout. All it does is sizes the design canvas appropriately to fit the specific need. Screen just sizes it to the window height and width. Printer picks a fixed size depending on the paper size. And Labels picks a fixed size depending on the individual label size.

Changing something in one layout does not affect any other layout. The changes are specific to the currently selected layout.

Thanks!

Brendan

March 22, 2018 at 5:25 PM #27928

Kirk Oakes
    Participant

Thanks Brendan! So if I design one for printing on paper then when I print does it automatically use that layout or do I have to use the printer layout to print from?

March 22, 2018 at 6:19 PM #27930

Brendan
    Keymaster

You have to select the specific layout before you select the Print command. That’s how Tap Forms knows which layout you want to print.

October 24, 2018 at 9:16 AM #31358

Hello
    I have just purchased – Tap Forms does almost everything I want. I am baffled, though, by how to tell my printer which layout to print: it seems only to choose a layout, not the one I want.
    I have highlighted the tab at the top of the layout, which is designed for printing.
    My forms and layouts are custom.
    Mac OS High Sierra.
    Grateful for pointer.

October 24, 2018 at 1:01 PM #31383

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Hugh,

On the Print panel that displays there is an option for choosing the Print Layout. Make sure you choose the Record details or labels option instead of the `Table of records’ print layout.

If you don’t see the option, click the Show Details button on the Print panel.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 26, 2018 at 9:18 AM #31422

Thanks for quick reply, Brendan. My question was not clear enough, though.

In addition to the Default Layout, I have created a File List Print layout – I attach a screen shot. On the print window (also screen shot) I have clicked the table of records print out, but I do not see how to select my custom layout by name.

Rgds

Hugh

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    October 26, 2018 at 11:13 AM #31427

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Hugh,

When you have a custom layout selected on the main view, if you want to print that, you MUST choose the `Record details or labels’ option.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 26, 2018 at 11:17 AM #31428

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also, if what you’re wanting to do is customize further (with font stylings, etc) a list printout, then you’ll have to use the Labels feature. Because when you have a custom layout selected and the “Design for” option is set to “Printer”, then Tap Forms will print one record per sheet of paper. In order to print multiple records per sheet of paper, you’ll either need to use the “Table of records” option, which it sounds like you don’t want, or use the “Labels” option next to “Design for” on the Layout Inspector panel. Then make sure the “Multiple records per page” option is selected. You’ll probably need to design a custom label size that goes across the page.

See the chapter on labels in the online user manual:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/labels

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.