Description (text field) on iPad vs desktop

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Description (text field) on iPad vs desktop

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Wilma
    Participant

Hello all, after my beloved Bento gave up a couple of weeks ago, I switched to TapForms and I’m not disappointed. In fact, I’m so pleased with it that I deleted Bento altogether and I can also trash the old MacBook I kept around just for the purpose of the one Bento database that I cherish :-)

Importing the Bento data was very easy and without a glitch and pretty quickly found my way around Tap Forms to customise a form. Synching to my iPad works like a dream (except for today, perhaps the update?) but I have one question: my movie database has a large “description” (text) field but on the iPad I can only see a very limited part of this description: the beginning of it and when I tap on it, it shows me the last bit of the description. There’s no pop-up or fly-out field on the iPad to show the entire description. The description is restricted to the one-line box.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to see the entire description on my iPad also?

April 14, 2020 at 9:06 PM #40324

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Wilma,

I’m glad that you’re enjoying Tap Forms!

I would recommend switching the Field Type of your Description field to be a Note field instead of a Text field. You’ll get a much larger area to view and edit the values then.

You’ll get a warning when switching the field type from Text to Note, but it’s ok. Your data will display just fine after the switch because Note and Text fields are compatible. They just display and edit differently.

Thanks!

Brendan

April 15, 2020 at 2:42 AM #40333

Wilma
    Participant

Thank you much, Brendan. That did the trick!

April 15, 2020 at 11:55 AM #40336

Wilma
    Participant

Just a little addition in case others have this question also: changing the field from “text” to “note” did indeed answer my question. But in doing this I also found out that it didn’t work for my custom layout, which uses a black background and the text in that (now “note”) field turned black (and became illegible on the black background). I was unable to change the “note” field to white text. When I changed the field back to “text”, the white text appeared again.

April 16, 2020 at 1:46 AM #40341

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Wilma,

If you just remove your Note field from your custom layout and then drag it back in again from the Fields list at the bottom-right of the layout inspector panel that should solve that problem.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.