Date/Time Alarm Won't Go Away!!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

GadgetLady
    Participant

I set up a test form to check out the alarm feature. I was thrilled, as I saw that it works whether or not the application is active, and it repeats as often as you want it to. After I implemented this feature in a real form, I turned off the alarm in the test form. However, the alarm keeps firing. So I cleared the date & time on the test record. The alarm still keeps firing. When I look at the record, the clock icon is still there, even though the date & time are cleared in the record, and the alert setting is set to off.

I’m using the iPad version.

March 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM #4495

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

There’s a Clear All Alerts function underneath the Alerts button at the top of the screen. There may be an alert hanging around in the OS that’s not tied to a record anymore. If you tap that, all your alerts will be cleared. Let me know if that fixes your problem.

What was the repeat frequency you set for your alert?

Thanks,

Brendan

March 6, 2011 at 4:06 PM #4496

GadgetLady
    Participant

The Clear All Alerts function clears every alert I have on all records, whether or not their date & time has approached. It clears all alerts dated in the past & in the future. I have several records that I have individual alerts on, and I don’t want to clear those, only the alert that continues to fire after it is no longer needed.

The repeat frequency for the test alert was set for every hour.

March 6, 2011 at 8:35 PM #4497

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Yes, the clear all alerts will clear out all the alerts you’ve setup. But to get rid of the repeating alert, this is the only way to do that for now. I’ll make that area better for the next release. The problem is there’s a hidden alert in the system that doesn’t show up in the list because either the record for it is gone now or the field that contained the alert is gone. I was sure I had written the code to remove any alerts setup for a field which had been deleted, but I may have neglected to complete that. I’ll look into it and fix it for the next update.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 7, 2011 at 1:59 AM #4501

GadgetLady
    Participant

Okay, hopefully this can be corrected. Nice effort, though. But for now, I can’t take advantage of it. I have 250 subscription customers. For each customer, I set up a reminder 1 week prior to their expiration date. This reminder was to prompt me to send an email, asking if the customer wants to renew their subscription. Besides the fact that setting up the alerts was very time consuming, if I have a problem with one customer’s alert continuing to fire when it’s no longer needed, then clearing the other 249 alerts to get rid of the offending one is not an option.

March 7, 2011 at 4:59 AM #4502

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

Ok, unfortunately there’s one other gotcha in this system. And this time it’s not my fault. Apple only allows up to 64 local notifications to be programmed into the OS by any one application. I’m not sure why there’s this limit. But I didn’t think anyone would come across that limitation so quickly. I’ll have to add a message into the app that tells you when you’ve reached the limit of notifications.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 7, 2011 at 6:21 AM #4504

GadgetLady
    Participant

Brendan,

That may already be handled by the OS. I actually have 257 customers, but I was in the process of setting them all up, but I’ve only actually set up 57 (I rounded the total customers to 250 & said I had set up 250 alarms, but that wasn’t actually the case yet). So it’s possible that I would have gotten a ‘gotcha’ when I reached the 64th record.

Is there a limitation on how many records can be contained in one record set with Tap Forms?

March 7, 2011 at 6:23 AM #4505

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

No, there’s no physical limit, but when you start getting into the thousands of records within a single form, it can take a few seconds to load the list before you can select a record. 250 records within a single form is no problem at all.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 7, 2011 at 9:14 PM #4507

GadgetLady
    Participant

Hey I think I found the solution for my problem. When you select the alert on the record (touch the date/time field to bring up the alert settings), there’s a Clear button at the bottom of the settings (to the right, at the bottom). If you touch that Clear button, it appears to clear the alert.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.