Date field entry problems

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

lotarm1949
    Participant

I have a form with several date fields.

When I use the calendar to populate the field, the date always and only defaults to the current date, i.e. as if I had selected “today” from the calendar. Even if I choose another date (any date), the field still defaults to current date.

When I use the scroll wheel instead of the calendar, date entry works as expected — but using the scroll wheel is such a dreadful nuisance I’d prefer to not use it (editorial aside: the scroll wheel method of data entry is one of iOS’s worst ideas!)

Any thoughts on what might be the problem and how I can get calendar entry to work?

Lotar.

November 4, 2013 at 3:12 AM #7363

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lotar,

Just out of curiosity, are you tapping on the Save button after you enter the date? If you just tap on the back button after selecting a date, it won’t save it. I just did some testing on the iPhone version and it does save the date after I tap the Save button. Then when I go back in, that date is selected.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 7, 2013 at 6:34 PM #7441

lotarm1949
    Participant

?? What Save button?? What Back button??

When I’m entering a date in my form, a dialogue box pops up with either a calendar or a set of scroll wheels from which to select a date — there is no Save button, no Back button, only Today or Clear buttons.

In fact, after I’ve selected my date, It appears the only way to actually populate the field is to tap outside that dialogue box.

Lotar

November 8, 2013 at 3:06 AM #7449

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Lotar,

Oh, my apologies. I thought you were referring to the iPhone version. You didn’t specify in your first post which version. There’s 3 versions of Tap Forms and these all work differently, so sometimes I have a hard time figuring out which version people are referring to. Sorry for that.

Are you using the latest version of Tap Forms? Version 3.5.5?

I just tested this out in the latest 3.5.5 version. Here’s the steps I took:

1. Pick a form with a Date field.
    2. Create a new record.
    3. Tap on the date field. Tap Forms defaults to the current date.
    4. Spin the wheels to pick a different date.
    5. Tap off of the date popover.
    6. View the date field now has the date I selected from the date wheels.

I also tried the above steps on a Date & Time field. Worked the same way.

If you would like to email me your form template, I can take a look and see if there may be some other issue causing this.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM #7453

lotarm1949
    Participant

Hi Brendan — 3AM! When do you sleep? Sorry I didn’t remember to specify platform, I really do know better . . .

Works exactly like that using the scroll wheel, but not using the calendar. Calendar only ever uses default/current date. So, yes, I could use the scroll wheel, but that’s a tedious nuisance compared to the calendar.

On that note, is it possible to type in a date, preferably in international standard yyyymmdd format, instead of using either calendar or scroll wheel?

Will email you my form.

Thanks. Lotar.

November 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM #7465

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lotar,

Ok, so I completely misread your first post. My sincere apologies. You mentioned the scroll wheels worked as expected. And then I went and described how I tested just that. I failed to see that you said the calendar component was the issue, not the scroll wheels.

I have just tested the calendar component again on my iPad Air and it seems to be behaving correctly for me. When I create a new record, tap on the Date field, the calendar pops up and shows the red dot and the blue dot are both on the same date. Then I tap on another date and the blue dot moves to the date I selected. The red dot always stays on the current date. It’s the blue dot which is the selected date. Then I tap outside the calendar popover and the date I selected is displayed in the field behind it. But that’s not what you’re seeing?

Thanks!

Brendan

November 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM #7483

lotarm1949
    Participant

That IS what I’m seeing, up to the point where the red dot stays on today’s date and the blue dot is on my selected other date — but when I leave the dialogue box, the field populates with the red dot date not the blue dot date.

Weird.

FWIW, I’m on iPad 2, iOS 7.0.3

Lotar.

November 8, 2013 at 10:55 PM #7496

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lotar,

Don’t think you’ve emailed me your form just yet. I’d like to take a look at it to see if it’s something with the form that’s causing this trouble.

Thanks!

Brendan

November 9, 2013 at 6:47 AM #7505

lotarm1949
    Participant

Hi again Brendan. Where do I email it?
    I’ve mailed it–as a CSV — to the address listed as the return address on the emails I get from you, but you don’t seem to be getting them?
    Should I be doing something different?
    Thanks again.
    Lotar

November 10, 2013 at 8:06 PM #7543

Brendan
    Keymaster

Did you send to support@tapforms.com? I haven’t received anything from you. Plus I’d need the form template too.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM #8185

Huub D
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    First I want to tell you that I am very happy with tapforms!
    I searched for CRM software, working on Mac and iphon/ipad.
    Yes there are a lot of, but i am working as a technisian and a therapist.
    There was nothing to find which works like i wanted it.
    So with tapforms i can customize everyting i want.
    Yes there are a few things i would be glad if that is supported in a next version of tapforms, like a tabel, automaticly storing the content of an written/recieved email, means more email integration.

So about the topic!
    I have the same issue here, not with the date field, but with the time field, and on the iphone version everything works fine.
    But on the ipad version the same thing happends here.

The form i created is used for calculating working time, therefor i made a form with (endtime – starttime) – (endpause – startpause), an

1 st field: date
    2 nd field: calculation: ([endtime]-[starttime])-([time field)]-[startpause])
    3 rd field: starttime (time field)
    4 th field: endtime (time field)
    5 th field: calculation: ([endtime]-[starttime])
    6 th field: startpause (time field)
    7 th field: endpause (time field)
    8 th field: calculation: [time field)]-[startpause]

What happend:
    First time i have an entry in the one of time fields, everything is ok, but when i put second entry in another, or even the same time field, the old time wil stay there, even that i see in the right upper corner the new time.
    When i delete the time entry (as a second entry of any time field), then the entry in the field is deleted, even if i had a new entry.
    So, when i save the record (go out by tapping on records in left upper corner) then i can put 1 correct entry in any of the time fields.

What happends?
    Grtz Huub

December 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM #8186

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Huub,

I have fixed this issue with Tap Forms HD version 3.6 which is now approved for release but I’m holding off on releasing it until Tap Forms Mac 2.0 is approved by Apple. The reason for holding it back is because there are changes to the database structure to support the new features in version 2.0 for Mac that I want also updated on the iOS version so that when syncing, each version is syncing with the same database schema.

I’m hoping it will be any day now.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM #8187

Huub D
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

Thanx for the quick answer, i will watch out for the new updates!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.