Date field causes TF to freeze

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Anthony Davies
    Participant

Hi Tapforms/ Brendan

My well trusted Tapforms databases on ipadOS have recently developed the following issue:

A date field causes the database to freeze, I’m able to select a date from the calendar pop up but then cannot do anymore. If I force shut down of the database and then reopen it, I am able to continue to enter all other fields on the form, and the date field originally selected has been saved and is operational.
    I have created new test forms and the date issue is still as above.

Thanks Anthony

January 14, 2024 at 1:33 AM #50304

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

Are you using the calendar view for the date field? Try switching to the standard date pickers by tapping on the [15] button at the bottom of the Date popover view. See if that helps.

Also, what iPadOS and Tap Forms versions are you using?

Thanks,

Brendan

January 14, 2024 at 2:25 PM #50324

Anthony Davies
    Participant

Hi Brendan, thanks for your prompt response.
    I’m on iPadOS 17.1.2 and TF 5.3.33 (1101). I’ve tried all different ways to enter the date in my many TF forms, the issue seems to be…I can select a date, change a date etc. but once I click out of the date popup to accept the chosen date, that’s when it freezes, so I have to quit TF and go back in. I suspect it’s an iPadOS issue as I have been using TF for many years without any real issues. It’s been happening for quite some time, but due to moving house and stuff didn’t report till now.
    thanks Anthony

January 14, 2024 at 2:37 PM #50325

Anthony Davies
    Participant

Update Brendan,

my Phone on ios 17.1.2  and TF 5.3.33 (1101) is ok, the date field works fine.

January 17, 2024 at 1:04 AM #50330

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

So you’re using the little date popup and not the full calendar view in the popover view?

Because that little mode button toggles between those two control types. I’ve found that the larger calendar view can cause this. But only sometimes and on some devices. I was initially able to reproduce that bug and I made some code changes to the version that you have now, but the issue went away and it works properly. So that’s why I was wondering which date entry mode you were using.

January 17, 2024 at 8:31 AM #50331

Tony T.
    Participant

Same issue on:

iPad Pro 2.Generation 12,9 Zoll
    iPad OS 17.2 (21C62)
    Tap Forms 5.3.33

It freezes whenever picking a date. Can only force close it and restart. Any update on when this can be solved? Regards, cv01

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Tony T..
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 17, 2024 at 12:44 PM #50334

Anthony Davies
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Tried all options to enter date, same result, freezes after picking date.

This issue applies to all my TF databases, and any new form and new date field created.

Thanks

January 18, 2024 at 1:04 PM #50337

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tony,

I see you’re using the calendar view in your screenshot. Can you tap the [15] button at the bottom of the date popover view and try changing the date using the system date picker instead to see if that helps?

I know it happens for some people, but I can’t seem to reproduce the freeze since the last update I sent out. It’s a tricky situation. I just tested it again and it’s working ok on my iPad Pro 11-inch 4th generation, running iPadOS 17.2.

January 18, 2024 at 1:47 PM #50338

Tony T.
    Participant

Hi Brendon, thank you for the reply, I just tried, and I can select through the new view a date, as soon as I select it, it freezes again.

first screenshot, the new selector after pressing (15)
    second screenshot, the window freezes, I have to kill the app and restart, funny though that the date I selected is actually changed in the database.

Regards, Toni

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 18, 2024 at 2:00 PM #50341

Tony T.
    Participant

One more hint/info: I have one more iPad where it is working perfectly (iPhone, MacOS also working fine):

iPad iPad Air 2
    iPad OS 15.7.9
    Tap Forms 5.3.33

January 18, 2024 at 2:19 PM #50342

Anthony Davies
    Participant

Hi Brendan

I’m using a iPad pro(10.5) Model A1701 which has now updated to iPadOS 17.2

Using the [15] button allows me to select a date from the system date picker, however once I select a date the whole TF freezes and I have to force quit TF and restart. Once restarted the Date is correctly saves in the data, and I am able to continue to use TF as normal until I need another date entry.

My goto TF form uses a Date format [Full]

Many Thanks Anthony

February 6, 2024 at 2:44 PM #50460

LateForDinner
    Participant

Hello,

I am also having the freezing when entering date problem,

iPad Pro 2.Generation, iPad OS 17.2, Tap Forms 5.3.33

It only occurs on my iPad.

Tom

February 7, 2024 at 12:22 AM #50461

Brendan
    Keymaster

I was able to reproduce it initially, but made some code changes and then couldn’t reproduce it anymore, so I thought it was fixed.

But I’m going to spend more time working on it to finally get this issue resolved. Sorry for the delay in fixing this issue.

February 8, 2024 at 9:58 PM #50469

Brendan
    Keymaster

So who wants to test a possible fix for this issue with me? I can add you to Apple’s TestFlight system and send you a pre-release version of an update that will hopefully fix this issue. I still haven’t been able to reproduce the bug, but I’ve made some code changes and would love to know if any of them work to solve this bug. Apparently it happens on older iPads and not on the latest ones.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.