Database Maintenance

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

ddemibus
    Participant

Hi, What Do I do with the database maintenance??

How often must I do it? I do not know what they do, there are four bottons.

Thanks!!!

July 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM #5260

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi,

The database maintenance tasks perform various optimizations on the database file. For example, if you delete, then add, then delete a lot, the database file will contain gaps of unused space. Doing a vacuum will compact the database. A more compact database loads in faster.

The Analyze function will gather statistics about the tables and indexes and write that information into internal SQLite tables. This information is used to optimize the SQL queries that Tap Forms executes to try and return results as fast as possible. This is something that I do automatically after a CSV file import when tap forms says “Optimizing Form”. It’s actually analyzing the whole database.

The Rebuild Indexes function will delete all the indexes and rebuild them from scratch. Sometimes this can speed up queries.

The Rebuild Search Index function will delete the full text search indexes and recreate them from scratch. Occasionally when Tap Forms can’t find a value that you know is there, this may help to solve that problem.

I hope this answers your questions ok. I know it can be a little technical.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM #5261

ddemibus
    Participant

Thank you very much for your information.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.