Database lost all the info I inputted today

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Database lost all the info I inputted today

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

daffy
    Participant

Hi,
    I have a database for my plants and trees etc. I set it up a few days ago, but I inputted a load of new information today. A couple of times I noticed one of my pick lists had reverted back to how it used to be. (I had removed a number of items from the list because they weren’t needed, but they reappeared on the pick list.)

The third time it happened I decided to record my actions as Brendan had asked me to do this when it happened once before, but when I had tried to record it, the problem didn’t happen again. I left it recording for 17 mins, but it didn’t happen.

I left my Mac for a while and used my phone and was letting the phone sync to the Mac. When I came back to the Mac, all of the data I had entered this morning had disappeared.

I did a short recording to show the differences, but obviously it had not actually recorded the info disappearing because it happened while I was away from my desk.

Firstly, is there likely to be a chance of getting that info back? I don’t think it will have been backed up because I hadn’t closed the app and I have it set up to back up on close.

Secondly, why is this still happening to me? I am having huge problems with iCloud sync. I am in the process of setting up CouchDB, but I’m finding it quite technical. I’m making progress, but it won’t be working any time very soon!

Any help would really be appreciated. I love my databases, I really enjoy designing them and inputting the info. I’m not even that bothered about having to input it all again, it’s not a huge problem, I just don’t want to do it until I know it’s not going to all disappear on me again.

I have the screenshot videos, but they are large and I don’t yet know how to make them smaller so I can add them here. I will figure this out if needed though.

Cheers :)

April 21, 2019 at 11:19 AM #34504

Brendan
    Keymaster

You’re better off uploading the videos to Dropbox or some cloud service you can get a URL to and just email the URL to me.

As for what happened, I’m not entirely sure. When Tap Forms syncs it first asks iCloud if there’s any changes. It downloads them and imports the changes into its own copy of the database. Then it uploads any changes that haven’t yet been uploaded.

You could check the Recover Deleted Items window (accessible from the File menu) to see if the missing records appear there. Then you can recover them.

Or you can send me the file and I can look for them.

April 21, 2019 at 2:09 PM #34511

daffy
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I have checked the ‘Recover Deleted Items’ window and the only things in it are the items I actually deleted, rather than the items that deleted themselves, this makes me think perhaps they are not ‘deleted’. Is there anywhere else they might be?

I will email you the videos, I apologise that the longest one is extremely boring. I was leaving it running in the hope it would show something happening.

I will send you the file too. You never know, there might be something in it that I have missed or set up incorrectly. Whatever it is, it’s happening on both my main databases. It could be happening on my smaller databases, but I don’t use them that often, so haven’t noticed anything.

Thanks,
    Nicky

April 22, 2019 at 12:13 AM #34515

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Nicky,

I’ve responded directly to your email.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.