Database disappeared!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Da Ha
    Participant

After having spent a considerable amount of time on a database, today I opened Tapforms 5 on my Mac and it has disappeared! An earlier database which I had created is still there. Where could my database have gone? I don’t want to lose all that work.

January 5, 2021 at 8:34 AM #43058

Amy
    Participant

I’m having problems today too! I’m using TapForms 5.3.17 across Mac desktop/laptop/iPad/iPhone. My problem is fields and data in fields disappearing and other fields spontaneously duplicating.

This morning, for example, I pulled up my TO READ table in my READING db on my iPad, entered a record, had data I just entered disappear from the record as I was working on it, so I re-entered the data, then noticed that my “genre” field was duplicated—there were two of them, but only one would let me pick from the list to choose “non-fiction.” The other list icon was unresponsive. I closed out.

Then I went to my desktop Mac, opened TF and the same record was at first missing. So I synced. Then the record appeared, but the fields were empty except for the auto-generated “Record Added” (the date-created field) that showed I’d made the record that morning.

Then I noticed that I was back to having only one “Genre” field (yay!) but now a field called “Book Group Option” that is set up as a radio button (yes/no) field was entirely gone. Poof! Doesn’t show up on any records, and when I run the query that existed for “Book Group Option”= YES I get no records up.

I had a similar problem a few months ago when I was looking at the same READING db on my phone and my “Notes” field in the BOOK JOURNAL table was not visible. Later, at home, it reappeared on my desktop TF version.

EEEEKKKK! This really panics me.

January 5, 2021 at 8:50 AM #43059

Da Ha
    Participant

Sounds like your problem is different to mine – I can’t open the database at all, as I can’t find it!

If this is of any help – I actually backed up my whole Mac 3 days ago using Carbon Copy Cloner, so have that backup on an external USB. Problem is, I can’t find the file on that. I’m not sure where it would be. I’m not even sure I “saved” it – I noticed that when I closed Tapforms and opened it again, it would automatically open the database that I had been working on, with changes saved. So I hadn’t done any more manual save.

How can I get my database back? Does Tapforms save temp files in this kind of scenario? Help!!

January 5, 2021 at 10:20 AM #43061

Daniel Leu
    Participant

The default location for the TapForm documents is in Library/Containers/com.tapzapp.tapforms-mac/Data/Documents. The easiest way to get there using Finder is press shift-cmd g in Finder and then enter ~/Library/Containers/com.tapzapp.tapforms-mac/Data. Next, control-click or use the right mouse button on the Documents folder and select Show Package Contents. There you find your forms and there are backups available as well, assuming they were enabled.

January 5, 2021 at 11:45 AM #43063

Da Ha
    Participant

Many thanks for the info. I have managed to sort the problem. When my OS updated, Tapforms stopped automatically opening the form I was working on. It had been saved until a “sample form” name; apparently I had never renamed it. I managed to find this sample form and have opened it successfully.

January 5, 2021 at 12:10 PM #43064

Daniel Leu
    Participant

Great that you got your form back, Da Ha.

@Amy
    , since your issue is unrelated, I would recommend that you post it in a new thread.

January 6, 2021 at 1:03 AM #43071

Brendan
    Keymaster

@Amy emailed me with her issue directly and I’ve already responded.

January 6, 2021 at 8:31 AM #43081

Amy
    Participant

Thanks. I can post my question directly. I responded to Brendan because his initial thought–that the field would be in my Recently Deleted items and could be recovered that way–didn’t work out. It doesn’t show up in Recently Deleted items. So Brendan and I are emailing…

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.