Data Entry on PC

Tagged: ,

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

Is it possible to enter forms/records/data on a PC?

December 7, 2010 at 10:24 AM #4276

Brendan
    Keymaster

Sure, using the CSV import and export functions you can edit records on your PC, import them into Tap Forms, work with them there, then export them again, then update them on a PC in Excel, then re-import back to Tap Forms and see the updates there.

Thanks!

Brendan

December 16, 2010 at 10:43 AM #4287

sunshine
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Now that you have released the iPad version, what appetite do you have for a Mac version that can sync with iOS devices, or a web based version that will serve the content from an iOS device on the same wifi network and allow changes to be written back to an iOS device?

It’s interesting that there is a gap in the apps market for this. Bento is the only one with two way integration but it’s a pretty dire offering…

Many thanks

December 22, 2010 at 10:02 AM #4296

ivanov
    Participant

Hello Brendan,

I’ve read the your post above about editing the records in the spreadsheet program (in the MAC ou PC), but I can’t do it. I’ve exported all the records of a custom form I’ve made, then opened it in OpenOffice (NeoOffice, more precisely) and edited some fields. Then I saved the file with the exact name and format (CSV, Unicode UTF 8 etc.), but, when I try to import it in Tap Forms, the program simply crashes without importing the changes.

I was playing around with some alternative procedures and figured out that if I delete the column “form_record_id”, changing the name of the file, it will result, after the import procedure, in a new form named as the file name I choose with all the records. But, as it sounds obvious, it will result in duplicated fields and form, if the procedure I described is really necessary.

Is there anything I’m missing or there isn’t a way to really edit the records in the PC or MAC? If so, will I need to delete the original form every time I edit some records after exporting and using the CSV file in the computer?

By the way, the program, despite my issue, is excellent! When you bring the Mac version to life, I’ll quite using OpenOffice Base for good!

Thanks,

December 22, 2010 at 12:03 PM #4297

ivanov
    Participant

Hi again Brendan,

Just to apologise for the TYPOs in the previous post (I’m brazilian and my iPhone is configured with a portuguese keyboard…). But I think you’ll understand the message – specially the part of quit using OpenOffice Base…

Thank’s, again.

December 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM #4298

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ivanov,

I think the one thing missing from what you’re doing is first selecting the form you’d like to import into. If you are viewing the list of records for your form, you can tap the action menu button at the top-right and select “Import Records”. Then, Tap Forms will know which form you are importing into. So you won’t need to remove the form_record_id column. The reason it crashed was because Tap Forms was trying to insert a new record into the database into a new form where the record ID existed already in another form. To avoid that you just have to import into the same form that you exported from.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks,

Brendan

December 22, 2010 at 6:45 PM #4299

ivanov
    Participant

Hi Brendan, it makes perfect sense – and works just as well. I’m now one step from quit using OpenOffice Base… Again, Tap Forms is an awesome application with great potential – specially if you decide to go on with the Mac version.

Keep the great work, and thank you very much for the quick support.

December 22, 2010 at 6:48 PM #4300

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Ivanov,

Oh, I have dreams of having Tap Forms for Mac on the Mac App Store one day! :-)

Thanks!

Brendan

December 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM #4301

ivanov
    Participant

Hi, Brendan,

Maybe not one day, but in day one… January 6th is in the corner… Hurry up!

I have one more question regarding CSV file import.

I’m trying to import a file with 887 records. When I try importing without indicating the field type, there’s no problem. But, when I insert the field type in the first line (the fields used are <date>, <note> and <text>), the program imports just the 29 firsts records. I’ve already verified the date format, and it matches the one selected in the settings (dd/mm/yyyy). What am I doing wrong?

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.