Custom form_record_id

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

It has been awhile since using Tap Forms, but I thought it was previously possible to set a form_record_id field in a .csv file and then import it into Tap Forms and have the form_record_id ‘stick’ to the record. However, when I export a .csv from Tap Forms the form_record_id column shows a different form_record_id than the one imported. So I guess a simple question is can I set the form_record_id field in a .csv and have it imported to Tap Forms and have that field set by be me? Does it need to be of a specific format for Tap Forms to accept it?

July 9, 2019 at 9:47 PM #35694

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms will automatically prefix rec- to any form_record_id value that’s imported. But you should be able to use your own keys. As long as they’re unique within the entire database, not just that one form.

July 9, 2019 at 10:46 PM #35696

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I was actually using rec-###, could that be the problem? So if I understand I should use a number?

Thanks!

July 10, 2019 at 12:08 AM #35700

Brendan
    Keymaster

Tap Forms will handle it already if you use rec- within your value. You can use text or numbers or both. The default is to use both. Tap Forms basically generates a random UUID (universally unique Identifier) for the primary keys of the records in the database. So every time one is generated, it’s guaranteed to be unique.

August 29, 2019 at 7:02 AM #36587

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I am having issues getting the form_record_id to stick to records. I tried self-creating form_record_ids in an Excel file, and then import the records, but when I then export the records with the Export Record ID, they are different than those I created, or when I make changes in an Excel file and then upload the changed records using the self-created form_record_ids, the records get duplicated. Also, when Tap Forms creates the form_record_ids and I export the records, make changes in Excel, and Import them I sometimes get record duplication or no changes at all. I then Export the records and compare to the original form_record_ids generated by Tap Forms and they are different. I am working with almost 4,000 records so I don’t know if I have hit a limitation, but I can’t self-create form_record_ids that stick, nor do those generated by Tap Forms seem to stay fixed.

August 29, 2019 at 4:49 PM #36595

Brendan
    Keymaster

Do you want to email me a sample of the CSV file you’re trying to import?

Send it to support@tapforms.com

Your IDs should start with rec- and contain no other - characters in it. Well, if it does, Tap Forms will remove them and leave remaining rec-abc123.....

August 29, 2019 at 5:01 PM #36596

Brendan
    Keymaster

Also, I know it’s called form-record-id, but it actually has to be unique per database, not per form. So you can’t use the same ID in another form.

August 30, 2019 at 3:11 PM #36634

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I need to anonymize it, but will test it and send it along as long as I can duplicate the issue. I discovered the issue with the need to be unique per database when I couldn’t get a form to update. I thought it might even have a need to be universally unique, as once I deleted other trial databases I was trying to get to work I had fewer issues.

September 19, 2019 at 8:29 AM #36809

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I sent a .csv file. I just wanted to make sure you received it.

Thanks!

September 21, 2019 at 7:28 AM #36815

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mackay,

I had replied to your email and your file helped me to fix the problem.

Here’s the email I sent on September 5th:

Hi Mackay,

Ah I see.

Ok well that explanation and sample files definitely helped me to understand the issue and to fix the bug.

The next update will have this issue resolved.

It turns out that Tap Forms wasn't using the provided record IDs if they didn't already exist in the database. So I've modified Tap Forms to support custom IDs now.

Sorry for all the trouble.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 27, 2019 at 6:57 AM #36874

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

Sorry I missed the email, but I really appreciate your willingness to work with the users.

Thanks again!

January 6, 2021 at 5:30 PM #43093

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but this issue has resurfaced. I update my database twice a year and in September 2020, the custom form_record_id is not working again, and Tap Forms seems to be overriding them again. Was there some change in the last 6 months that broke this functionality?

January 6, 2021 at 10:43 PM #43096

Brendan
    Keymaster

I made that code change on September 9th. Well, at least that’s the day I checked it into my source code repository. And it hasn’t changed since.

January 7, 2021 at 2:04 PM #43102

Mackay Steffensen
    Participant

I deleted the duplicate records and added the new records again and it worked. So I don’t know what happened yesterday, but it is behaving as expected and as it did previously today. Thanks!

January 8, 2021 at 9:28 PM #43120

Brendan
    Keymaster

Good to hear.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.