CSV import incomplete

Tagged: ,

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

divinenanny
    Participant

Hi there,

I am trying to create a new form with content via CSV import.
    The file itself is pretty simple, with four columns:
    Eigendom<check_mark>;Gelezen<check_mark>;Titel<text>;Auteur<text>

The first two columns are empty.
    The third contains book titles, the fourth authors (lastname, firstname).

The first try stopped after 28 records. Record 28 had a special character in the author name, so I cleaned up the file by removing all special characters (óéáúíçèàòìù etc). Now the import gets stuck at 95 records (there are 1295).

Are there any other special characters that are off limits (like &, ‘ etc?)

There are no numbers/calculations/dates in my file. I used Excel 2007 to create it and saved it using ; as a separation between fields.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me…

Sara

September 30, 2013 at 4:02 AM #6809

divinenanny
    Participant

I found one more character that blocks it, the curly apostrophe. Sometimes you get this character instead of a straight one, I have no idea why (There is probably a good reason). Replacing this character gave me 751 of 1295 rows…

September 30, 2013 at 4:27 AM #6810

divinenanny
    Participant

I found a couple more special characters and finally got 1063 out of 1295 records to import. I am now going through the file line by line to see which ones didn’t import, and I can’t really see why these didn’t make it…

Some lines that did not make it:
    ;;Giovanni’s Room ;Baldwin, James
    ;;Go Tell It on the Mountain ;Baldwin, James
    ;;Foundation ;Asimov, Isaac

I have a feeling that it has something to do with the author names, because when something doesn’t make it over, it is usually all records that have the same author name.

September 30, 2013 at 5:53 AM #6811

divinenanny
    Participant

It’s not (completely) the author names, because now I have also found authors where some lines have made it, and some haven’t…

October 2, 2013 at 12:48 AM #6818

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Sara,

The issue is the file encoding that Tap Forms is configured to import with. It’s not matching the file encoding of the file you’re actually trying to import. I would suggest going to the Import Settings screen, then setting the file encoding to be the same as the file you’re creating. If the file was created on a PC with Excel, then I would suggest trying to use Windows Latin 1 file encoding.

Thanks!

Brendan

October 2, 2013 at 12:58 AM #6820

divinenanny
    Participant

That worked!
    Would that also allow the special characters to remain?

And another question, I’d like to use CSV to create a pre-filled form. But how do I ‘check’ a checkmark using CSV? I tried using ‘Ja’ (my TapForms is in Dutch) because I saw that in the export from a test-form. Didn’t ‘check’. I tried using ‘Y’ like in the example post on the blog, and that didn’t check either…

October 2, 2013 at 12:00 PM #6831

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmm… I think ja should work. But if that isn’t, try 0 or 1.

Thanks,

Brendan

October 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM #6837

divinenanny
    Participant

1 and 0 (or empty) worked, thanks!

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.