csv file import created in Tap Forms

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Anthony Wilcox
    Participant

I keep trying to import a .csv file that I created in Tap Forms on another computer and it simply won’t import all of the fields (sporadic as to which ones it does or doesn’t). Since Tap forms can’t support many users syncing to iCloud working with the same database, I was going to have each user export a .csv then import each one of them but I’m unable to do that since it doesn’t function properly. Does anyone else have this issue and or a solution, possibly a work around?

July 23, 2014 at 12:39 PM #10546

Leo
    Participant

Hi,

use settings as shown on picture. Importing in both excel as numbers gives no problems.

Leo

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    July 23, 2014 at 1:47 PM #10548

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

The File Encoding setting may be tripping you up a bit. You need to make sure that you use the correct File Encoding setting. For Mac Excel it’s generally best to use Mac OS Roman. For Windows Excel, use Windows Latin 1. Or you may need to use UTF-8 if you’re getting your CSV file from some other app.

Thanks!

Brendan

July 23, 2014 at 1:48 PM #10549

Anthony Wilcox
    Participant

Leo,
    I tried this using the same settings you showed in the picture and it jumbled the fields completely in excel. I appreciate your help though. I’m hoping I can get this to work because it’s a pretty handy program.

July 23, 2014 at 1:53 PM #10550

Anthony Wilcox
    Participant

I”m using Mac Excel and encoding it Mac OS Roman, it just doesn’t maintain the integrity of the data either in Tap forms or Excel. I’m using tracking numbers in the data base and need them to remain in tact with each record, if that can’t work the whole thing is pointless. I’ve had a pretty easy time exporting for example my quickbooks data to excel as a csv so I know this is doable, for some reason this just isn’t keeping fields in any way organized. Some is in rows, some columns, field names are mostly in one column but not all, that kind of thing.

July 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM #10553

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Anthony,

I’m sorry but I misunderstood your original message. I thought you were importing into Tap Forms from Excel. But it sounds like you’re going the other way around, exporting from Tap Forms and importing into Excel.

Can you email me a sample CSV file from Tap Forms that you’re having troubles importing into Excel?

I do plan on adding an Excel export option to Tap Forms Mac so it can generate Excel files directly without having to go through CSV.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.