Create Article Numbers

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi,
    In order to keep track of sales of my illustrations printed and sold on articles in an online shop, I want to create article numbers. Unfortunately, I don’t know the best way of going about it.

I would like to have the result as follows:
    Article type as an abbreviation (i.e. Spiral Block as SPB, T-Shirt as TSH, etc) with an ascending number unique to that type:
    SPB-1001
    SPB-1002
    TSH-1001
    TSH-1002
    and so on.

I’ve created an article abbreviation list and think that something like Text Concatenation would give me the result, but I am not sure how to get the number in, kind of like creating the example of the Full name, but I was hoping to have the numbers assigned automatically instead of assigening them manually.

Can anyone give me some help with this or suggest a better solution? Thanks.

Regards,
    Kim

June 26, 2017 at 12:43 PM #23600

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly,

You could combine a Calculation field with Text Concatenation along with a Number field with the Auto-Increment option turned on to do what you want.

So a formula like this might work:

Article Type Prefix + “-” + Article Number

So you’ll need 3 fields. Your Calculation field, an Article Type Prefix which is a Text field, and an Article Number field which is a Number field.

You can set the Pick List of article types on the Article Type Prefix field.

When you add a new record, the Article Number value will be incremented and displayed. You can perhaps also set a Default Value for the Article Type Prefix field so you get a fully formed result in the Calculation field. Then if you need to change it, click the Pick List to select a different prefix value.

The only issue is you’ll get an ever increasing Article Number value for ALL prefixes. Your example shows the same Article Number value for different prefixes.

If you set the Default Value on the Number field to 1000, then that’s the value Tap Forms will start at when you create new records.

Hope that makes sense.

Brendan

June 26, 2017 at 2:31 PM #23602

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    The article number field (in my table it is called Artikelnummer) is set up and produces the combined result. However, the numbers field, that I’ve set up to increase by increments of 1 is not increasing at all.

I probably am overlooking something small or something very obvious. Would you please check my screenshots?

I’ve set up a numbers field for the final section of the calculation.

It is marked as a required field
      It is marked as an automatic increase
      Increase by 1
      Standard value is 1000
      Number format: No Style
      Monetary Unit: Unspecified>
      Decimal spaces: 0
      Pick List: Unspecified
      Type of calculation: Unspecified

Maybe you can see what I am not? Thanks.

Regards,
    Kimberley

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 26, 2017 at 2:33 PM #23604

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Here are the other screenshots

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    June 26, 2017 at 2:54 PM #23608

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

I forgot to say thanks.
    Thanks!

June 26, 2017 at 8:03 PM #23609

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Kimberly,

The auto-increment function works only on when you create a new record. It won’t update existing records.

June 27, 2017 at 1:17 AM #23611

Kimberley Hoffman
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Thanks. It is working now.

Regards,
    Kimberley

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.