Crashing with Photo Import

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

bigcaat
    Participant

I’m on the current TF version: 5.3.8
    I’m on Mojave 10.14.6

I’m using a custom form where I import photos. In the past few days it’s been crashing. At first it was just hanging and I had to force quit TF. Then it started crashing the app. Now, today, it froze and crashed my computer.

I’ve used it this way for years but photos has always been a little hinky. I’ve learned that when importing photos, I can’t go anywhere else on my computer, I just have to sit and wait for the photos to finish importing (even though it can take up to 2 minutes sometimes.)

Now, I haven’t been able to import a photo in 2 or 3 days. I always decrease the size of the photo before importing.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Caat

November 22, 2019 at 2:43 PM #38191

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Caat,

Try the Compact Database function and then try importing your photos to see if that solves the problem.

If not, please email me a crash report that appears and I’ll look into it.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 23, 2019 at 4:27 PM #38252

bigcaat
    Participant

What or where is the “Compact Database Function?”

November 23, 2019 at 11:18 PM #38259

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

On the Mac with your document open, go to Preferences, Maintenance and Compact Database is the pride of that screen.

On iOS with your document open, go to Tools, go all the way at the bottom to Database Maintenance and Compact Database is at the top of that screen.

November 24, 2019 at 12:00 AM #38261

bigcaat
    Participant

That did it. Thank you. How often should I perform that task?

November 24, 2019 at 9:50 AM #38268

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Compaction behind the scenes cleans out old edits and deleted records that are retained for purposes like sync and is what “recover deleted items” uses. How often is a little hard, it doesn’t hurt per se (especially if you don’t use P2P or CouchDB sync) but you can reduce down your document size a little bit depending on what you’ve done. There is some limited amount of retention already (I have in my head 20 revisions, Brendan would know exactly) but if you have a lot of records then those 20 revisions can add up.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.