Crash when exporting items with the option “export linked records”

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Crash when exporting items with the option “export linked records”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Konrad Schoettl
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a Newbie with Tap Forms (not with databases), using it on a iPad Air 1 with iOS 12.5.3 (latest version available for this model). At the moment I try to get familiar with the many functions ?.

I‘ve defined several forms, for example one for books which is linked to another form for authors. This works fine. Now I’m exploring import/export functions, and it seems that Tap Forms (5.3.19) always crashes when I try to export the records of a form, under the condition that I chose the option “export linked records” (the last option under “import/export”). Without this option the export works fine.

Btw, Tap Forms crashes with all my forms that have links to other forms, not only with my book form.

Perhaps I’m missing something?

Thanks
    Konrad

July 8, 2021 at 11:12 AM #44764

Konrad Schoettl
    Participant

I just saw that the version is iOS 12.5.4, but I think this makes no difference?

Konrad

July 14, 2021 at 1:20 AM #44794

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Konrad,

Do your links eventually create a circular reference? For example Form A links to Form B, which links to Form C, which links back to Form A?

If so, that could be causing an infinite loop.

July 16, 2021 at 3:16 AM #44809

Konrad Schoettl
    Participant

No, there isn’t a circular reference as you described. I think I have found the reason for the crash. This occurs only with more than one ‘Link to Form’ field defined (in my case, there were two fields, each ‘many to many’). With only one such field, the export including the linked records works fine. But anyway, the export doesn’t work as I expected. I get several separated CSV files. But I wanted to get one file, containing also the linked records. For my book example, I wanted to export all books from the book form, including the author’s names from the author form. But the column for the author’s names (Link to Form) is empty.

I found another solution for this purpose. I defined a script field in the book form that copies the author’s names into the book form. Now I can export the books with all author’s names into one file, what is what I wanted ?.

Thanks
    Konrad

July 17, 2021 at 11:16 AM #44826

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yup. That’s the solution to your export issue. I’m glad you found the script works for you. Because each form has a different set of fields and there needs to be the header row and there could also be a number of related records, it’s impossible to include the related records in the parent form. That’s why Tap Forms creates separate CSV files for each.

But that’s also why I built the scripting engine to help with unique cases like this.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.