Couple of questions/issues

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

gabi
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Are there any known issues with sorting by encrypted fields?

I’ve noticed a couple of times, that when I add new records to a form that is sorted by an encrypted field, somthing goes wrong with the record’s order.

If I go to “customize forms”, and reselect the field in the sort settings, it fixes the record’s order in that form.

I thought it’s because the fields are encrypted because I didn’t notice it happens on non encrypted fields.

Another thing I’ve noticed in the latest update:

My iphone’s languege settings is hebrew. The reading/writing order in hebrew is from right to left.

If I set tap forms to operate in hebrew, and write text in hebrew (I encountered it on “note” field) then the text is alligned to the left of the note (instead of-to the right).

When I set tap forms to operate in english, and write texts in hebrew- it works fine.

Thanks,

Gabi.

March 7, 2011 at 5:25 PM #4506

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Gabi,

Yes, there is an issue with sorting of encrypted fields. The sort function happens in the database and the values stored in the database for encrypted fields are not the same as what you see on screen after the value has been decrypted. So for this reason it’s not possible to sort by encrypted fields. I would suggest not encrypting the fields that are displayed in the list view. So if for example you were encrypting your credit card numbers, I would suggest not encrypting the card name, but only encrypt the card number. Then you can sort by the card name. Essentially in that case it’s not important to encrypt the card name, but only the number.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.