Copying text from link-to-forms fields

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Script Talk Copying text from link-to-forms fields

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Edu Neve
    Participant

Hello,
    I have zero experience with Javascript and I’m struggling to understand the provided documentation regarding scripts. The reason I’m considering scripts is because I really want to be able to search and sort fields that link to other forms, but from what I’ve read in the forums this is unfortunately not possible yet (this is absolutely my number one request for future development).

So, I figured an alternative would be to create a script that copies the contents of a field that links to another form, into a regular field. This way, when I sort or create saved searches/filters, I can point to the regular field that would have copied the relevant contents.

So, all I want is a simple automated copy-paste of the text or numeric contents of a field (that links to other forms) into another field of my form. I haven’t been able to find a step by step guide in the documentation or in the forums.

I see that I’d use “get field value” and “set field value” or “set multiple field values”, but I don’t know how to go about it. Do I create the script as a field, or do I simply add it to the Scripts pane? And once I create the script, what would I type there?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

February 26, 2020 at 4:22 PM #39658

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I wrote a script a while back to combine multiple values from Link to Form field for precisely the reason of being able to search for those records. You can just have the script field contain the data and it’ll show up in search, it’s exactly how I use it. I use them on Table fields in some places as well to help roll up aggregates.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.