Convert strings to Numbers

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Jose Monteiro
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I need to convert the output of a function which returns text to an integer value.

Is there a way to convert a text string to a number (at least for integers) ?
    I wasn’t able to find a function for such a task.

If not, can we have it?

Jose

November 20, 2017 at 8:12 PM #26023

Brendan
    Keymaster

Can you give me an example formula that you’re trying to build?

November 21, 2017 at 3:11 AM #26030

Jose Monteiro
    Participant

It could be for example one of the builtin functions of TF such as DATE(X;”YYYY”) which returns the year but as text.

November 22, 2017 at 12:27 PM #26060

Chris Knight
    Participant

Hi Brendan, I would like to second this function request.

I’ve tried multiple ways to coax TapForms into giving me just the year as a number and what I finally arrived at wasn’t pretty, YEARS(TODAY() -TODAY() ,TODAY())+1970, although it seems to work. I imagine the same kind of approach would work for days, months or weeks with some math to adjust for the Unix Epoch but I haven’t tried it.

~Chris

November 22, 2017 at 8:47 PM #26069

Brendan
    Keymaster

Next update will have an STR2NUM(A) function :)

Chris, if you’d like to join the beta team, I can set you up.

November 24, 2017 at 5:29 PM #26119

Chris Knight
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for the invitation, although I don’t know if I would be the ideal candidate.
    I have beta tested for electrical modeling app LabVIEW on Mac (twice now) and for the 3D modeling app Rhinoceros so I do have some experience as a beta tester but I frequently get very busy with work (10-12 hour days and 6-7 day weeks) and almost disappear from everything but work for the duration of the job. In between jobs thought I usually have a lot of time but that time has to get divvied up with everything that got put on hold. During the holidays my work usually tapers off a lot and doesn’t usually pick up strong until spring so if this year is like most previous years my work load should be a lot lighter and I would have time to be able to be a reasonably decent beta-tester. I do have multiple projects in TapForms that are on my To-Do list and I am the type to create my own layout for everything and tend to want more data then less and I have a tendency to try and over-build things and push at limits. I might find things that the average user won’t – but then again I might be trying to do things the average user won’t care about either. :-) I can communicate well in English and could certainly write a useful bug report. I don’t use my iPhone for anything really but as a phone as I find the screen is too small for me to ever be content with and I don’t own an iPad because I’ve never really seen the use for it, and again I think the screen is too small to really be useful for me. I ceased using Windows a long time ago and if I never have to use Windows again that would be fine with me.

So, if my time and platform limitations are acceptable then I would be willing to be a beta-tester for TapForms for Mac.

~Chris

November 24, 2017 at 11:54 PM #26121

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Chris,

Excellent. I’m happy to give you access to the Tap Forms betas. Even if just to confirm that the new date functions I’ve added are suitable and work correctly to your expectations.

Is English not your native language? Could have fooled me if not.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.