Contacts Field Non-Responsive

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

grooveagent
    Participant

Hey all,

I’m evaluating tap forms demo 3.0.2 and noticed that when I try to add a Contact to the contacts field type, I can’t select anything. I can however use the search field in the top right corner which will repopulate the list but I still can’t select anything.

Is this a limitation of the demo, or Yosemite? I’m considering purchasing the suite of tapforms, but want to make sure everything works first.

Thanks.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    January 16, 2015 at 1:29 AM #12687

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve just uploaded the 3.0.3 demo. Can you give that one a try to see if it works any better for you? Just click on the blue button on my home page again to get the new update.

Also, how many contacts do you have in total? It seems to have something to do with the number of contacts. Also try adjusting the divider line between the groups on the left and the addresses on the right. You can drag it left or right to adjust the width of the columns.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 16, 2015 at 10:00 AM #12692

grooveagent
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

I only have about 150 contacts on the cloud.

I can’t adjust the columns at all or scroll down as they are stuck. All I can do is type in the search field. The new demo didn’t work unfortunately.

I created a new profile and created a form under that profile. It worked as expected. It must have something to do with the number, complexity of the contacts within that profile. Maybe because my Facebook contacts are included as well?

January 16, 2015 at 12:37 PM #12694

Brendan
    Keymaster

Could you please email me your form template so I can try it with your template? I don’t think that should matter how the template is constructed though. I am able to fully adjust the divider between the groups on the left and the contact names on the right. You’re saying that it’s not working for you? You don’t see the mouse cursor change to the left/right arrow when you hover over the divider line?

I really wish I could reproduce this issue, but so far it’s worked flawlessly for me. Not saying it’s not working for you of course because you’re not the only one with this problem. I just wish I knew what was causing it.

Attachments:
    January 16, 2015 at 2:40 PM #12699

grooveagent
    Participant

I’ve nailed the problem down to iCloud contacts. If I disable iCloud contacts in the iCloud system preferences, the contacts dialogue box works as it should. When I re-enable iCloud contacts, it becomes non-responsive again. Furthermore, you can’t invoke the dialogue box unless you click on the blue contact icon then click off of it. So strange.

January 16, 2015 at 4:12 PM #12702

demonkiwi
    Participant

I have the same problem, only switching off iCloud sync for Contacts doesn’t fix it. I can search, but not scroll or select; and the popover stays fixed, even if I change Form – so I have to quit TF to get rid of it (3.0.3)

January 16, 2015 at 4:54 PM #12703

Brendan
    Keymaster

This is very frustrating. I’m really sorry about this guys. Do you see any error messages coming from Tap Forms in the Console log at the moment you click on the Contact popover button? There might be some information in there that’s useful to me.

I had one beta tester that had over 4000 contacts and when I made the small change that I did to the Contacts popover (by removing the email addresses from display), it started to work for him. Perhaps he did something else that I was unaware of.

January 16, 2015 at 8:53 PM #12705

grooveagent
    Participant

No worries Brendan, we’ll figure it out. I work in IT myself, but I’m more of a hardware guy.

Some more info:

I tried creating a new layout and dropping the contacts field in it – same results. Previously I had mentioned that clicking the blue contacts icon doesn’t invoke the popover unless i click off the icon. I discovered that tabbing to another program and back again brings it up also.

See attached a screen capture of Console. Hopefully it will give you the details you’re looking for. I can also mail you the details via the console inspector if you wish.

Keep in mind i’m using the demo version of Tap Forms so I don’t know if that affects the outcome or not.

Attachments:
    January 16, 2015 at 9:19 PM #12707

grooveagent
    Participant

Update: I downloaded the tapforms demo on my older macbook pro running Mavericks under a user profile connected to the same iCloud account. In this case it worked fine so it’s not the iCloud account.

I suspect it could be a combination of Yosemite plus something else. Yosemite is at 10.10.0 at the moment.

January 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM #12708

grooveagent
    Participant

Sorry my mistake. It can’t be a Yosemite issue because it worked under the same machine, different profile. I added my iCloud account to the new profile and it worked properly. It must be a profile issue rather than a OS/iCloud account problem.

I’ll work on it and post any solutions I come up with.

January 17, 2015 at 12:11 AM #12709

demonkiwi
    Participant

I cleaned out all the anomalous Contacts info (like an email address in a name field, or no name) which seems have fixed the problem for me. Using TF 3.0.3 appears also to have helped

January 17, 2015 at 6:42 PM #12716

Brendan
    Keymaster

It seems like it might be that “initWithString: nil value” error that may be the root cause of the problem. Cleaning up the contacts appears to resolve the issue it seems.

January 17, 2015 at 8:52 PM #12719

grooveagent
    Participant

Interestingly I logged on to my main profile today and now it suddenly works. Sometimes with computers you don’t know why something stopped working, only it’s important that it now does. *shrug*

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.