Contacts & Companies

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Woking on a new database and need a little guidance.
    Wondering what the best way to create Companies with multiple contacts. I also have some contacts, like a sales rep for example, that rep for multiple companies. I deal with enough companies that only have one contact (one person small business, like a contractor) that a single form with company name and contact name would suffice.

Should I make a separate Contacts and Companies form and link everything (I’m assuming many-to-many relationship), or should I start with a company form with fields for a contact and then link only multiple contacts.

I’m probably clear as mud, but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

September 1, 2022 at 10:51 PM #47891

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Mike,

I guess that’s really up to you which ever way you’ll find more comfortable to work.

But certainly a Company form that links to a Contacts form where the Contacts form also has a simple Company Name text field could work too. Then you could click on the Contacts form to view all of your contacts and some contacts might have relationships to multiple companies. Or you can go at it from the Company form and select a company and see all of the contacts for that company.

Yes, a Many to Many would be appropriate. You could also use a Join type and use the Company Name as a join field from both forms. Then any time you add a new contact and enter in a company name, it would show up on the Company form for that company.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 2, 2022 at 10:29 AM #47895

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

I’ll have to look up the Join function, but that sounds promising.

September 3, 2022 at 7:13 PM #47898

Mike Guilbault
    Participant

Brendan… I can’t seem to find much information on the Join function. Is there a detailed explanation or video on this? I have the Tutor for Tap Forms 5 videos, but they do not mention Join.

September 4, 2022 at 11:54 PM #47899

Brendan
    Keymaster

At the bottom of the Relationships topic:

https://www.tapforms.com/help-mac/5.3/en/topic/relationships

There’s really not much to it. You take a field in two forms and use that as the Join From and the Join To settings on the Link to Form property.

Imagine you have an Order form and an Order Items form. Your Order form would probably have an Order Number field. Your Order Item form would also have an Order Number field. Those could be joined together so that when you view an Order record, you’ll also see all the Order Items that have a matching Order Number value for the selected Order record.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.