Contact problems

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

LDamers
    Participant

I have a simple form of data from different cities on my iPhone. The first field is a ‘contact’ field type. I select a hotel from contacts that I use in that city, however when I sync my iPhone to my iPad the contact symbol (to show the complete contact info) doesn’t display on my iPad. If I tap on the field I get the pop up box ‘delete select or create contact’. Am I doing something wrong..so frustrating.

Louie

January 23, 2015 at 12:38 AM #12770

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi LD,

If you select the contact that it should be and then sync again, does it stick? Doe it do this for ALL contacts or just some of them?

There is an issue with contacts syncing through iCloud that can cause one device to have a different internal identifier for a contact than another, even though the names are the same. It’s a known issue with Apple’s contact syncing system where third party apps are trying to reference the internal ID of the contact. There isn’t a great solution for that.

Tap Forms currently uses the name of the contact to do a lookup if the internal ID fails to find a contact, so if the name hasn’t synced for whatever reason, then that may explain the issue.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 25, 2015 at 12:33 PM #12791

LDamers
    Participant

Brendan

Thanks for the explanation pertaining to the internal ID. I did a little testing with the contact selection and the only consistent solution to the problem occurred when the contact had a first and last name or when I only used the ‘company’ line for the whole name. This worked when syncing my iPhone to my Mac however my iPad is not showing the contact symbol on any of the contacts before or after the sync. If i select the contact on my iPad it removes it from my iPhone (happens with ALL contacts) I even deleted the app from my iPad and reinstalled hoping it would reset something when referencing the internal id. Is there any way to reset the internal ID by deleting the contact and redoing it or restoreing the iPad to factory settings and downloading the data again ?

LD

January 25, 2015 at 2:52 PM #12794

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi LD,

Tap Forms looks first for a contact with a matching ID that’s stored in its database when you select a contact. If it doesn’t find one, it then searches based on the first name and last name or company name (for company contact records).

If a contact is found, tapping on the value in Tap Forms will display the record as generated by Apple’s contact display code. Otherwise if one isn’t found, it asks you to pick one.

So I’m not sure if removing the contacts and adding them again will solve your problem, but you could perhaps try it on a sample contact to see what happens.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.