Consequences of TF open on two devices at once?

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Consequences of TF open on two devices at once?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Susan Rogers
    Participant

Now that my documents are synched between my iMac and my Macbook Air laptop, I have a basic question that I did not see answered in the online “Help” manual or in this forum:

What if I forget to close TF on my iMac and leave a document open, then go over to the couch, get on my laptop and open TF there and open the same document to add more forms?

I plan to be very careful and not do this, but know from past experience with my genealogy software that it is easy to forget, leave an app open, and a few hours later, pick up the other device (say to multi-task while watching TV) and then start working on the same document.

Typically, the file gets corrupted and can’t sync, data is lost, etc. The genealogy app company finally did an upgrade to close the doc on the other device before starting on the new one. I just want to know what will happen with TF so I can be super-diligent about not doing this.

January 15, 2019 at 3:57 PM #33453

Brendan
    Keymaster

As long as you’re not accessing the exact same file. That is, you’re not accessing the file using iCloud Drive or Dropbox or some other network storage location it should be fine. If you’re using any of the built-in Tap Forms sync services, then it’s fine. As long as you don’t edit the same record or fields or forms at the same time then you won’t cause a conflict. If you’re not actually using both computers at the same time then a conflict is far less likely to happen. If a conflict does happen, Tap Forms will just pick one of the records to use as the master, the other will be discarded.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.