Confusion using linked fields

Tagged: ,

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Yvette M
    Participant

Probably very obvious, but not to me!!!!

I am using an iPad and the new tap forms and I selected the clients template that is offered during the initial presentation.

I get the My Life folder which holds two forms: 1. Clients and 2. Client Call Log.

I start with Client and fill out info, then get to the Link to Form field which is Client Call Log. I open that and add info to the form. I get that.

What I don’t understand is the last row on that form says Client with a link back to the Client form but there are no Clients listed. I even added a second client and still there were no options for a Client to be added to that link. In fact, it says to press the plus button to add a record on the client field of the client call log form, but there is not a plus button offered.

If I start out on the form Client Call Log, how would I pick a client from there?

This is what confuses me. I feel like you can keep clicking a link and I’m not sure what you are effecting and why there are no choices. Is there a way to have the form Client Call Log not have that last line on there that mentions Client. I would want to be able to have a main form link to a child form but that child form not have a back button, so to speak, on it.

Can you explain this concept? And is it possible?

Thanks!
    Yvette

September 24, 2016 at 10:44 AM #19778

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Yvette,

To turn off the “back link”, on the Clients form, go into Edit mode (tap the Edit button on the main My Forms screen), then tap on the Clients form. Now, scroll down to find the Client Call Log field. Tap on it. Then tap on “Link Type”. Then tap on the switch that says “Show inverse relationship on selected form”. That’ll turn off the back link.

To add a Client Call Log record to your Clients form, you just tap on the Client Call Log field, then tap the + button to add the linked record. That’s pretty much all there is to it.

When you have a “Many to Many” Link Type, then when you tap on the Link to Form field from your parent form you’ll see a checkmark button that you can use to select a linked record from. But not for a “One to Many” right now, although I do need to add that.

September 25, 2016 at 12:35 PM #19808

Yvette M
    Participant

Thanks again!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.