Common Note for all records

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Ron Statz
    Participant

In a custom form, I can create a note that will showup in all records with the same text. I tried to do this in the default form with no success. Can this be done?

July 25, 2020 at 3:58 PM #41516

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I think what you want done can be achieved by a script field that looks at the contents of another field to see what value it has in it and then outputs a result.

There was a post on how to link fields when typing which focused on mapping a value from one field into another one. It used switch statements via Javascript but a similar one could be done with nested if statements with Javascript regular expressions to match entries and values.

Then the script field would display the same content on all records where the other text field contained a particular value.

July 26, 2020 at 6:36 AM #41526

Ron Statz
    Participant

must be an easier way without getting into scripts. In a custom form, all that is required is to put the text on the form screen.

July 26, 2020 at 7:29 AM #41527

Jim Burgess
    Participant

Sounds like you are using a text box on the custom form to create your “note”. Right?

There isn’t an equivalent to that in the default form since all the fields are positioned in a specific columnar format/order, and that layout can’t be changed.

The closest you might be able to do would be to use a section heading. But if your “notes” are lengthy I’d anticipate you might get into trouble with the long title you’ll end up with.

What’s the purpose of your “notes” on the custom form? Maybe there’s another way.

July 26, 2020 at 7:35 AM #41528

Ron Statz
    Participant

Jim, yes I am using a text box in the custom form. The note is sorta like a list of credits covering information sources. Once I am finished with the data entry, I will be creating a PDF of each record for distribution. If there is no easy way, I will paste the text into a note field in each record.

July 26, 2020 at 7:39 AM #41529

Jim Burgess
    Participant

Ok, thanks. But I’ll ask the obvious question… why not use a custom layout for everything?

July 26, 2020 at 7:47 AM #41530

Ron Statz
    Participant

Found that if you select the default layout and then print the record to PDF writer, the PDF it creates contains the complete record (multiple pages). If you stay in the custom layout, PDF writer prints only a portion of the record (single page).

July 26, 2020 at 8:02 AM #41531

Jim Burgess
    Participant

Yeah, I believe that’s currently a limitation with Tap Forms. It’s on Brendan’s (long) list of enhancements.

July 26, 2020 at 8:07 AM #41532

Jim Burgess
    Participant

Yeah, I believe that’s currently a limitation with Tap Forms. It’s on Brendan’s (long) list of enhancements.

If you go with the “paste into a note field” solution, then advanced find could be your friend letting you paste into multiple records at the same time. But you probably already knew that :-)

July 26, 2020 at 8:15 AM #41533

Ron Statz
    Participant

Thanks Jim

July 26, 2020 at 9:40 PM #41539

Brendan
    Keymaster

If you can split your custom layouts into multiple layouts, you can set the “Print Next Layout” popup button setting to another custom layout that will print next after the current one has printed. So if you have all these fields that don’t print on the one page, you can add other fields to another layout and then have Tap Forms print them in sequence.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.