column widths / list-view should be GLOBAL

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms column widths / list-view should be GLOBAL

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

first off I LOVE TAPFORMS! Probably my favorite app ever!

But one thing drives me absolutely CRAZY. The column widths and list view (single vs multi list) is stored for each form separately rather then globally (where adjusting column widths and list view would affect all forms).

This is terribly annoying when I’m sometimes using the laptops screen, and other times I’m at my desk connected to a huge thunderbolt display. In each case I prefer different column widths, perhaps even a different list view because obviously the TB display has WAY MORE SCREEN and I can relax the column dividers and list view due to all the available real-estate. When I’m on my laptop I’ve got less space, thus need tighter columns widths.

One thing I DONT WANT TO DO is adjust every single forms column every time! But I’m forced to do this because any adjustment to a form’s column width or lis-view only affects THAT SINGLE FORM, rather then ALL FORMS.

If there were a preference to make view adjustments GLOBAL then I could simply adjust the column width or list view ONCE for ALL forms.

PLEASE consider this feature request. My OCD can’t take all these difference width columns :-)

cheers :-)

March 16, 2015 at 10:33 PM #13173

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

Hehe… sorry about triggering some bad OCD mojo in you :-)

I actually used to have those settings stored globally, but I changed it at some point due to some customer feedback. Because some people wanted to have different amounts of rows displayed for different forms.

It’s tricky to change back now because it’s like removing a feature that many people may be used to. I’ll think about adding a hidden backdoor setting though that would let you set a flag to toggle that behaviour.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 16, 2015 at 10:36 PM #13174

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

No worries!

Thats exactly why this needs to be a preference checkbox! Don’t change the behavior back to what it was, make it an option for users. Some people like it one way, some people like it another. A preference is the solution.

I will pay for tap forms AGAIN if you do this for me, LOL!

Thanks Brendan.

March 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM #13176

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

Adding a setting is a bit involving because although we both speak English, the text of anything in Tap Forms has to be translated into a dozen different languages and that always makes me think twice about adding settings for this and settings for that. Plus the more settings you have in an app, the more difficult it is to use.

But I’ll see about adding a back-door setting that you can toggle using the Terminal in a command-line. So anybody that really needs it can set it that way without it having to be translated for display or needlessly complicating the app.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM #13177

Leo
    Participant

I vote a big NO for this option.

every form has a different purpose and different views a needed. (In my case)

Leo

March 17, 2015 at 12:47 AM #13178

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

Why one would vote NO for an OPTION that helps another user, yet allows you to work as you have been unimpeeded is beyond me. But I’m not here to debate. Both functions have proven merit.

I’d be happy with a back door option. Thank you!

I’ve worked in software development for over a decade, so I understand the logistics of code churn, feature prioritization, etc. Any effort is much appreciated.

March 18, 2015 at 12:14 PM #13183

Brendan
    Keymaster

It was fairly easy to add the backdoor option.

All you’ll need to do is launch Terminal and type in this:

defaults write com.tapforms.mac global-dividers 1

And then re-launch Tap Forms. Then you’ll have to adjust the divider bars to have Tap Forms write out the new settings.

It’ll be in the next update.

To tell you the truth, I prefer the global setting myself. :)

Thanks!

Brendan

March 18, 2015 at 12:25 PM #13185

Ryan Tucker
    Participant

Thank you SOOO much! Where do I send the check ;-)

Really appreciate your attention to customer feedback.

Yeah, globals, I guess it depends on how much screen realestate you have…

Cheers Brendan!

March 18, 2015 at 12:32 PM #13188

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hehe… Just spread the word about Tap Forms and that’ll do fine :-)

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.