Cloudant login failed

Tagged: ,

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

Austin Goudge
    Participant

Hi,

I really don’t like this new sync setup in TF5 – The new device sync setup is convoluted to say the least, cloud sync should be transparent, without needing to manually transfer databases between devices first.

Anyway, the immediate problem is I can’t use it at all because I’ve set up a new Cloudant account and I am unable to log in to it within TF5, it’s displaying the following message:

Sign in Failed

Please check the Server URL, Username and Password to ensure they are correct.

Needless to say, my username and password are correct and the URL is automatic – I have no problem logging into the Cloudant web interface with the same credentials.

Regards,
    Austin.

August 4, 2016 at 9:22 AM #17984

Claire Dumbleton
    Participant

Hi,

I’m a long-term fan of Tap Forms.

Like Austin, I set up a Cloudant account today, but I’m unable to log into it within TF5. I get the same ‘Sign in Failed’ error message.

Regards,
    Claire

August 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM #17996

Doug Diego
    Participant

I am seeing the same problem too.

I can login on my mac. But when I login on iOS it says “Sign In Failed”.

August 4, 2016 at 10:32 AM #18001

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmm… I’m not sure why this would be the case. It worked fine all during the beta testing phase. I think it may be a timeout issue. I also just got the error. I’ll need to do some investigations with this.

Sorry for the trouble.

August 4, 2016 at 11:48 AM #18009

Doug Diego
    Participant

I just tried again and was able to login on iOS.

August 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM #18034

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes. I think it was a temporary glitch as it failed for me earlier too, but now it works. I didn’t change a thing.

August 5, 2016 at 12:31 AM #18101

Gartenzwerg
    Participant

It is a day later and i have the same Problem.
    I can not login, always the same failure message!

August 5, 2016 at 12:50 AM #18103

Claire Dumbleton
    Participant

I’ve tried again to log into Cloudant in TF5 on my Mac using the Cloudant account I set up yesterday. I still see the error message ‘Sign in failed’.

What should I be putting in the ‘Shared by user:’ field on the Configure sync services page? I’ve tried leaving it blank and tried putting in my Cloudant username.

Thanks, Claire

August 5, 2016 at 7:53 AM #18140

Gartenzwerg
    Participant

Push…

August 5, 2016 at 11:34 AM #18159

Gartenzwerg
    Participant

So, I made a few test and I have found the or should I say my solution.

Login in webbrowser on cloudant.com works fine.

Login from Tap Forms doesn’t with the same Password.

Go to http://www.cloudant.com in your webbrowser and change there passowrd !
    Go to “Account” —> “Password”……..
    Take a simple one for the test like “12345678” (after the test you should use again a more complex one!!!)

Go to Tap Forms an use the login username and the new password like “12345678”.

And the winner is….Here it works verry fine now. Befor I had a more complex one with “$” and “+” and that was the reason that Tap Forms, so I think, did not transmit these letters correct to http://www.cloudant.com for the login.

After them you should use a more complex one than “12345678” !!! Plase change it again !!

Hope this helps.

Regards from Switzerland

Michael

August 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM #18167

Sirius
    Participant

I tried Gartenzwerg method. It did not work. I still get the same failure.

August 5, 2016 at 6:11 PM #18182

L B
    Participant

I am having the same problem. First, creating a Cloudant account was a challenge. That finally worked. Trying to sign in on sync preferences now isn’t working with my account. (I can log into cloudnet.com with the same user name and password.) Trying to sign in on iOS version on iPad, keep getting “Sign In Failed”. Check URL, etc. My info is auto filled from 1Password, so it is identical to that on the Mac version and which I just used to sign in directly to Cloudnet.

August 7, 2016 at 9:20 AM #18280

Gregory
    Participant

my connections to Cloudant are all working; Mac, iPhone, iPad.

my password is 18 random characters; numbers and alphabet.

I selected one of the servers based in Hong Kong where I live.

August 7, 2016 at 12:22 PM #18285

L B
    Participant

Finally solved the Cloudant login and sync problem. Changed my Cloudant password. I had used a random p/w including alpha, numbers and characters. Changed to just Alpha/Numeric with no characters. Now it works. Did a couple of test changes on my database and they are reflected across a MB Pro, iPad and iPhone very rapidly. Super fast! I do wish that Cloudant would accept characters, too. Will test again another day, but sticking with my success so far.

August 7, 2016 at 4:45 PM #18300

Sirius
    Participant

Changing my Cloudant password to alpha/numeric did not fix it. But I did find another way to solve this. I migrated my database a second time into a new TF5 file. I am using an alpha/numeric Cloudant password. This time it works! Fast!

August 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM #18301

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

I have had no trouble setting up Cloudant sync for any of my databases until today when I tried to set one up to sync to my wife’s copy of Tap Forms. After I set it all up and tried to log in to Cloudant using Tap Forms on her iPhone I got the login failed message, as described above.

I made sure everything was entered correctly and the permissions set properly on the cloudant web site. It kept failing. The thing that finally made it work was changing her cloudant password. I don’t know why, but it did. We use 1Password to automatically generate good passwords, and I did not restrict it to only alphanumeric characters. So the outcome is fine, though it was frustrating for no apparent reason. It appears to me to be a cloudant issue.

August 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM #18329

Sam Smith
    Participant

@Gartenzwerg is right. TapForms doesn’t correctly send passwords with special characters to Cloudant. You can change your current password through the Cloudant dashboard. You’ll need to sign in here https://cloudant.com/sign-in/ and then navigate to ‘Account’ > ‘Password’.

Also of note, a valid Cloudant username is alphanumeric, at least 3 characters long and _always_ in lowercase.

August 8, 2016 at 7:51 AM #18330

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

No, Sam Smith, I do not think that is correct. I’ve been using Cloudant for syncing since the beta period, with a robust password, and I had no troubles whatsoever until just yesterday when I created a new Cloudant account for my wife so we can share a database. The problem was solved when I changed her password. Her new password is just as robust as the old. I don’t know why that fixed it, but if I were guessing I would suppose it is a Cloudant issue with new accounts being accessed for the first time.

August 8, 2016 at 8:21 AM #18332

cd13
    Participant

I agree with Cliff, I have one DB (out of six) on three devices that is synchronised in Cloudant and the password is 18 characters with a combination of uppercase characters, lowercase characters, numbers and special characters. I just successfully tested the sync between two devices for that one DB.

But (as written in another forum) ever since I had the remaining five DBs with the same DB ID that I had to recreated to ensure they had individual IDs (i.e. each DB on the three devices with the same DB ID) I cannot upload those five DBs to Cloudant.

I also contacted Cloudant asking if they had any password naming restrictions only to be told that they “don’t think so”; that’s when I tested the sync to ensure they don’t.

August 12, 2016 at 4:37 AM #18516

Austin Goudge
    Participant

Note it is now working reliably for me since changing my Cloudant password.

However, I am still very unimpressed with the initial cloud sync setup process – manually having to copy databases before setting up sync is, IMHO, not good user experience at all.

Viewing 19 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.