change document id / sync issues

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

FrAnksch
    Participant

Hi there,

is it somehow possible to change the document ID?

My problem is that I had some sync issues between iPhone (mayor device / daily used) and mac (minor device / used once a week) via iCloud.

Recent records of my iphone (from today or the day before) that are modified several times a day (let’s say “morning version” / “afternoon version” / “evening version”) were not available on the mac correctly (e.g. only yesterdays “morning version” and no version of today), even that I have been waiting until “sync spin wheel” on mac was finished spinning. Strange: Some “today afternoon” records in other (child) forms of this document were synced correctly from iPhone to mac.

After closing mac app and back on the iPhone, the “missing” today record disappeared completely on iPhone and the yesterday record was reset from “evening version” to “morning version”. So the sync of “wrong data” from mac to iphone worked correctly :-/

This happened several times in the past 6-8 weeks, and I guess that my iPhone did not sync correctly to iCloud, even that I trigger the sync manually several times a day on my iPhone (by “slide-down” or sync-button in tools). The “upload time” in sync settings is always updated correctly (attached screenshot)

After re-editing the records on my iPhone and after disabling iCloud sync and deleting the data on iCloud on my iPhone, I tried to set up a new icloud sync for this 150MB database document, but the “sync spin wheel” on my iPhone was spinning the entire night (!) and I canceled it this morning. My mac is still showing incorrect data and syncs them back to iphone.

In order to get a new, virgin sync, I’d like to set a new document ID on my iphone.  Is this possible somehow?

Or what can I do to stabilize the iCloud sync and male it more reliable?

I use latest versions on ios & mac

Thank you for you support!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    March 10, 2024 at 10:59 PM #50619

Brendan
    Keymaster

To create a new document ID for your document, use the Duplicate Document function. Tap Forms will generate a new, unique document ID for you. But I would do that only after you’ve disabled iCloud sync on that document. When you disable iCloud sync, Tap Forms will clear out any sync metadata that’s embedded within the database. Then when you use the Duplicate Document function and re-enable iCloud sync for the duplicate document, Tap Forms will make a new database for that in iCloud. Technically it’s a new CKRecordZone in Apple’s CloudKit system.

March 11, 2024 at 2:28 AM #50621

FrAnksch
    Participant

OK, thank you, Brendan.
    How long will a initial sync of a 150-200MB document roughly take? Depending on bandwith etc. it should be a matter of several minutes, but not hours, shouldn’t it?

March 12, 2024 at 11:50 AM #50627

Brendan
    Keymaster

It shouldn’t take that long. It’s hard to say though. Shouldn’t take hours though.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.