Cannot Import all Records

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Jay
    Participant

I recently purchased the full version after testing the “lite” version. All records will not import. I have 826 records but only 388 import. After resorting as alpha on the first field it only imported 336. The excluded records seem random. I’ve tried comma and pipe delimited.

January 21, 2013 at 4:07 PM #5863

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Jay,

This is a symptom of a mismatch between the text encoding of your file and and the text encoding that Tap Forms has been set to.

If you’ve generated your file using MS Excel on Windows, then use Windows Latin 1 encoding. If you’ve used Mac Excel, then use Mac Roman encoding. Or if you’ve used some other app, you may need to use UTF-8 encoding.

Thanks,

Brendan

January 22, 2013 at 8:24 AM #5864

Patrick
    Participant

I too am having huge problems trying to figure this out. have several databases of cds in the 1000s and whatever I try I get only partial imports. I need more detail on Latin 1 encoding, the bloated monster that is now Excel does not immediately offer this option as far as I can see.

January 22, 2013 at 9:36 AM #5865

Patrick
    Participant

Still at it using a combo of Mac G5, PC, Excel 2007, OpenOffice, Dropbox. A 89kb file with 271 fields of 4 rows each uploads fine, Tapforms ‘sees’ a 89kb file with 101 rows. Cannot figure it out, getting frustrated.

January 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM #5866

Patrick
    Participant

I meant 271 rows of 4 fields each of course.

January 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM #5871

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Patrick,

Go to the Tap Forms Import & Export Settings screen. Then tap on the Import File Encoding option. Set it to Mac Roman if you’re importing from a file that was generated with Mac Excel. If the file was generated with Windows Excel, then set this setting to Windows Latin 1.

Then import your file.

You can also email me the file and I’ll examine it to tell you what file encoding it uses.

Thanks!

Brendan

January 23, 2013 at 2:00 PM #5876

Patrick
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Thank you SIR! It’s so easy and obvious when someone who knows what he is doing weighs in. Problem solved and I am very happy. I think Tapforms is great. I have 1000s of books and cds in old Palm databases and they are importing into Tapforms perfectly. A great program and very adaptable.

January 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM #5877

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Patrick,

You’re welcome. File encodings can be a bit of a pain. But I’m glad it’s working for you now. I had to add support for all sorts of file encodings to Tap Forms. And there are probably a hundred different file encodings out there. Or possibly more than that.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.