Calculator field number format in years, months, days

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Calculator field number format in years, months, days

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

sweejin
    Participant

Hi there,

Is there a way to display a time difference in years, months and days in the calculator field (eg. 8 years, 5 months, 20 days)? At the moment, I’ve use the formula [NOW() – (Release Date)] / 60 / 60 / 24 / 365.25 to give me a decimal figure in years. This is fine, but I would like more of a break down in months and days as well.

If not, I would like to request this “Time Elapsed (in years, months, days)” as a feature to be added in future Tap Form updates. :)

Thanks!

Best wishes,
    SJ

June 22, 2017 at 10:21 AM #23563

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi SJ,

I’ll add an option for that to the Number Formatters that I currently have. I think it would be useful.

Thanks,

Brendan

June 22, 2017 at 5:13 PM #23571

sweejin
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

That’s fantastic, thanks so much! Looking forward to the next update which includes that feature.

Best wishes,

SJ

June 23, 2017 at 12:40 AM #23576

Brendan
    Keymaster

Here’s a question for you. What format should the duration be in?

2 yr, 3 mth, 2 day
    2 y., 3 m., 2 d.
    2 year, 3 month, 2 day
    2 years, 1 month, 2 days (extra programming required to figure out plurals)
    02-03-02 (YY-MM-DD)

June 23, 2017 at 5:40 AM #23581

sweejin
    Participant

You’re asking me? Aaaaw….. that’s so nice of you to ask my opinion, with you being the developer and all. :)

Personally, I would prefer it in the ‘2 years, 1 month, 2 days’ format, since I’m a perfectionist and like attention to detail, haha! Also, if it requires extra programming, do take your time, it’s no rush since it’s not like a bug or a critical patch.

Thanks Brendan, you’re a star!

June 23, 2017 at 9:25 AM #23583

Brendan
    Keymaster

The code is already written. I just have to account for pluralization now. Changing the format is easy. Except for the localization issues. Has to be translated to a dozen languages.

June 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM #23584

Brendan
    Keymaster

You’re the consumer of the product, so I want to make sure I build it the way you would expect it to be.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.