Calculations with Date / Time Stamps

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

TSL
    Participant

Hello Brendan

Downloaded the new version 2.1.3 today and looked forward to the new date / time caluculations. I directly tested the new functionality with a new form, two time fields and the new calculation field.

Tried to calculate the differenz of both time stamps: [Time1]-[Time2]. But unfortunately the result was a zero, regardless of the format I had chosen. The calculation [Time1]+2 also results in a zero.

So my question: Do I make a mistake when trying to calculate the difference or other operations including time stamps? Do you have a hint for me how using the new feature?

Many thanks for the perfect TapForms- App. It’s still my 1st-Screen-App number one since a long time.

Best regards

Timm

September 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM #4825

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Timm,

Hmm.. this should work. I just tested it and it does work in my copy at least. Is your [Time 1] value after your [Time 2] value? Tap Forms treats the time values in terms of seconds since January 1, 1970. So when you subtract one time from the other, you could get a negative value if you have the times reversed in the calculation.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 14, 2011 at 9:42 PM #4826

TSL
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

yes, I tested it both ways, in different forms, etc… maybe I’ll try to reinstall the app. It seems, I don’t have luck with my updates ;-) Version 2.1.3 is correct? I downloaded it from the German iTunes store… let’s see.

Thanks for your quick reply. When I have an update I’ll post it here.

Best regards

Timm

September 14, 2011 at 9:48 PM #4827

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes, version 2.1.3 is the latest. Try using Date & Time fields and see if that helps.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM #4828

Olafg
    Participant

Same here (Holland). I think it’s due to region format (in settings / general / international); if I change to USA, it works; if I revert to Dutch, it interprets any date as zero. Although the USA setting works as a workaround, I’m unwilling to have month-first dates, so I’ll forgo date calculations until this gets fixed in Tap Forms.

Still sufficient use, though; like it very much. Regards, Olaf.

September 14, 2011 at 10:32 PM #4829

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Olaf,

Ok, thanks for the fix. That’s the problem I get for only testing with the Canadian regional formats. I didn’t think there would be an issue with that since the calculation is performed on NSDate objects and doesn’t care what the region formatting is set to. There must be a display issue then. I’ll investigate and fix.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 15, 2011 at 2:27 AM #4830

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

I’ve found and fixed the bug with dealing with the regional number formatting for date calculations. You won’t have to use a North American number format for much longer.

I’ll submit the fix to Apple within the next few days.

Thanks,

Brendan

September 15, 2011 at 5:30 AM #4831

Olafg
    Participant

Great!

September 15, 2011 at 4:01 PM #4836

Olafg
    Participant

PS Same happens for fractions if your national setting is to use comma (0,5 for a halve) instead of decimal point (0.5). Also seems like localization issue, so would appreciate if this can be remedied at the same time as date formats other than North American

September 15, 2011 at 8:05 PM #4838

TSL
    Participant

Hello guys,

many thanks for the quick help and the helpful hint from Olaf!

Looking forward to get it fixed. This release is a big step forward for TapForms!

Best regards

Timm

September 15, 2011 at 11:10 PM #4840

Brendan
    Keymaster

I fixed it for number fields as well.

Thanks!

Brendan

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.