Calculations using TODAY() not updating

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Stuart Devlin
    Participant

DAYS(Start Date;TODAY()) Works fine to give me the number of days passed from a starting date but I expected it to auto update each day. The only way it updates to the current amount of days is if I go into Edit Formula and then come back out of it, I don’t need to do anything else.

The result type is Number and I don’t have Calculate one time only selected.

I’m very much a novice at this, help would be greatly appreciated.

October 7, 2020 at 1:08 AM #42172

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Calculations are only evaluated when a field they refer to changes, when the record is created, when the record is explicitly refreshed (refresh button at the bottom of the record) or when all of the records are refreshed (refresh button underneath the record list).

October 7, 2020 at 2:34 AM #42183

Brendan
    Keymaster

Formulas with TODAY() or NOW() in them don’t auto-update because that could cause an infinite loop in the sync process. So you have to manually refresh them by clicking the refresh button at the bottom of the records list (or pull-down on the records list on iOS).

October 7, 2020 at 2:55 AM #42186

Stuart Devlin
    Participant

Ok thanks. Am I able to write a script that would do that once a day? Do I take it that the reason Bento could auto update the calculation was because the database was shared from a single computer?

This is not a huge issue at all, I’m just converting a Bento database that we use at work and it will end up being used by 3 or 4 people and the less anyone has to remember to do something the better.

BTW, I LOVE how I can make this look so similar to my Bento solution, it’s really going to help with an easy transition for us.

October 7, 2020 at 12:38 PM #42194

Brendan
    Keymaster

Yes that’s right. I believe Bento just let other copies of Bento connect to the one device, like a client/server system. However, there may be other ways of breaking the infinite sync loop that I haven’t thought about.

I tried to make Tap Forms familiar to Bento customers. But since I was not a Bento engineer and I never had access to the Bento source code, it’s not exactly the same. Just my take on an easy to use database creation app.

October 7, 2020 at 12:52 PM #42198

Stuart Devlin
    Participant

Well for what it’s worth it looks to me like you’ve done an incredible job, this must literally be the only thing that I don’t find to be superior so far and it’s quite minor when the refresh button is there.

October 7, 2020 at 7:18 PM #42206

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Could you defer the evaluation of the calc field until display? Would mean that you can’t search on it effectively because you’d not be able to materialise it any more.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.