Calculation on dates

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

dom
    Participant

Hi, I need to calculate a date that is the value of a date field + 120 days. How can I do this? If I use a calculation type field, then the result dors not show as a date. Thanks. Dom.

March 20, 2012 at 6:35 PM #5146

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Dom,

This function isn’t supported since when a calculation is performed, it stores the result in the database and then displays that to the user. It saves the program from having to repeatedly calculate the results of a formula over and over again, which would have a very negative performance impact, especially if you had thousands of records that all needed to be updated. Imagine having this kind of calculation result being displayed on the list view. Tap Forms would have to recalculate the value every time it’s displayed to the user for every record in your form.

Thanks,

Brendan

March 20, 2012 at 9:04 PM #5147

dom
    Participant

Hi Brendan

What I would like the app to do is to apply a date format to the calculated value. This does not require to recalculate.

Take care.

Dom

March 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM #5148

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Dom,

Oops, you’re right. I’m sorry, I misread what you were asking. Another customer had asked a similar thing and they wanted it to be dynamic so that it would always show the current date plus some number of days.

So Tap Forms does have a couple of formatters that work with dates but really they’re just dealing with seconds and displaying that in an HH:MM or Hrs, mins. format. I’ll see what can be done for a future update for that.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.