calculation fields not updating

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Tom Vogt
    Participant

I’m currently testing the trial version. One thing I did was a report that collects data from various forms via a “link to other form” field. So I have three tables of data in there. Then I have a calculation field that basically sums these all up. Basically, fixed expenses, variable expenses, sales and then monthly result = TOTAL(sales) – (TOTAL(fixed_expenses) + TOTAL(variable_expenses))

The problem I face is that this final sum isn’t updated when I update records in the related tables. I can manually update it by double-clicking to open it and then just press save. But it doesn’t update by itself. I have checked that it is NOT set to “calculate only once”.

Is this a bug or a feature where I forgot to set some toggle somewhere, or is there something I can do about it with a script?

April 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM #47146

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

You will need to click the Refresh Records button to update the calculation field for parent records when you modify the records of child Link to Form fields. It’s the circular button at the bottom of the records list and record details screen. The one at the bottom of the record details screen re-evaluates the calculation fields for the current record. The one at the bottom of the records list screen is for all records.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 20, 2022 at 9:02 PM #47152

Tom Vogt
    Participant

Hm.

Is there a way to script this, basically “when opening this view, refresh records” ?

April 20, 2022 at 10:03 PM #47153

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Tom,

There’s no function to refresh the records upon displaying them. Just clicking the refresh button will do it. Or press control-command-r (or select it from the View menu).

It’s not automated because it could cause a sync loop if it was automated. I.e. Device A refreshes the calculations, which syncs to device B, but then that refreshes and updates the results and syncs back to device A, which refreshes and syncs back to device B, and so on.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 21, 2022 at 12:34 AM #47155

Tom Vogt
    Participant

That makes sense. It’s not perfect, but maybe a solution for this can be a future feature request (I’m thinking about end-users who could be confused).

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.