Calculation fields in tables

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Andrew Mead
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Can you add to your list of enhancement requests the ability to reference table fields on a calculation field.

To put it another ay my form has number fields and also a table field. I would like to add a calculation field as part of the table field that can reference the number fields on the form

Thanks,
    Andrew

November 4, 2017 at 11:17 PM #25756

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

The next update will allow the form to reference fields in the Table field within the Calculation field’s Formula Editor, but the Table field doesn’t have access to its parent form’s fields.

April 26, 2019 at 6:26 AM #34564

Calion
    Participant

Is the ability to access parent fields planned? I am building a recipe database, have ingredients and their quantities in a table, and want to change the number of servings and have those quantities change (or rather, new quantities show up in a calculation field in the table). Is there a way to accomplish what I want here?

April 26, 2019 at 7:48 PM #34571

Brendan
    Keymaster

You can already reference parent fields in a Calculation field or Script field if you’re using a Link to Form field.

You need to enable the Show Inverse Relationship option on a Link to Form field to get that though.

But you’re talking about a Table field. I haven’t enabled access to parent fields in a Table field. I think you’re the first one to ask for it. I’ll think about it for a future update to see if it’s possible given my current architecture.

But to me it sounds like you want to go the other way. From parent to child. So if you change the number of servings in the recipe, you want the quantities of the records in the Table field to update accordingly. You can already do that with a Script field on the parent form. The Script field could be triggered to run whenever the value in the Servings field changes. It would loop through all the child records in the Table field and update the quantities. I’m assuming it would just multiply the new serving size by the quantity in the ingredient.

There’s a Snippet on the Script Editor that’ll loop through all the child records.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.