Calculation Field

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Vincent Smit
    Participant

Brendan,

Maybe this is beyond the possibilities of Tap Forms. However is it possible to create a calculation field with an “if then else” condition? In case, yes, how does it look like. Also, are trigonometric calculations possible? I’m rather new to Tap Forms. Currently I’m making a database without problems although would like to add some technical calculations.

February 27, 2015 at 7:18 PM #13052

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Vincent,

Yes, Tap Forms supports the following functions in the Calculation field formula editor:

SQR
    SIN
    COS
    ATAN
    SINH
    COSH
    COTAN
    TAN
    EXP
    LN
    LOG
    SQRT
    POW
    LOGN
    ABS
    SIGN
    TRUNC
    CEIL
    FLOOR
    RND
    INTPOW
    MIN
    MAX
    MOD
    IF
    SUM

The IF statement takes 3 parameters as follows:

IF([Price] > 100, 1.05, 0.0)

So if the value of the Price field is greater than 100, return the value 1.0.5, otherwise return the value 0.

It’s something I need to add to the manual to explain a bit more.

Thanks,

Brendan

April 7, 2015 at 8:11 AM #13313

Ryan Flynt
    Participant

Just trying to clarify. I am attempting to do an if then with text for a greeting in a form letter.

Basically, I have two fields, First Name 1 and First Name 2. My goal is here is to have a calculated field called “Greeting” that, if the First Name 2 field is empty, it will only use the First Name 1. Here’s what I have:

IF ([First Name 2] is null, [First Name 1] + “,”, [First Name 1] + ” and ” + [First Name 2] + “,”)

When both are full, works like a charm.

When First Name 2 is empty, I get the result:

Nameinthefield and

Am I not doing this right?

April 7, 2015 at 8:42 AM #13314

Ryan Flynt
    Participant

I see now that this doesn’t work with text. I was looking at another calculated text field.

My apologies for the irrelevant post…although I will say that I would find this functionality extremely useful in a future release.

Thanks,
    Ryan

April 8, 2015 at 1:14 PM #13323

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Ryan,

Ya, unfortunately the IF statement is very dependent on the values being numeric. But I agree it would be useful for text too.

Thanks,

Brendan

November 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM #15146

Cliff Tarrance
    Participant

Oh yes! I vote for that too! Please make it possible to use conditional tests to concatenate text. For example, I have separate fields for first, middle and last names, plus a display field for the full name. I would like to concatenate first + ” ” + (middle + ” ” +) last, but omit the (middle + ” ” +) if the middle field is null.

thanks,
    Cliff

November 25, 2015 at 12:15 AM #15309

Leo
    Participant

Brendan,

does the syntax for these functions follow excel/numbers?

Leo

November 25, 2015 at 1:17 AM #15311

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Leo,

Most of the functions take one parameter, a few two, some more. I’ll have to put together a list with better examples. I’m off to sleep now, so I’ll do it tomorrow.

Thanks,

Brendan

May 24, 2016 at 3:58 PM #16923

Brendan
    Keymaster

I finally got around to adding a Calculations field sub-topic to the online user manual:

http://www.manula.com/manuals/tap-zapp/tap-forms-mac/3/en/topic/calculations

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.