Calculating StraightLine Depreciation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

marscanbueno
    Participant

aloha,

im using tapforms5 as my inventory management database. one of the more recent tasks I’ve received has been calculating the depreciation rate of many of our devices/equipment/furniture, etc. i found a forum post regarding a similar topic, utilizing a different formula.

Really stuck – calculating depreciation?

what im trying to do is create a calculation formula that will give me day to day (or by the second) straight line depreciation similar to the formula used in the example provided in the link above.. help!

as an example these are the fields that im using:

item: laptop
    purchase price: $1000
    purchase date: (would vary)
    estimated useful life (yrs): (would vary)
    salvage value: [purchase price] x .01
    deprecated value:

October 18, 2019 at 7:24 PM #37229

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Perhaps share the formula you need to implement if it is different?

Do you need to know the value of the formula at any point in time or would refreshing the formula with the current date and time be sufficient?

October 18, 2019 at 10:08 PM #37230

Daniel Leu
    Participant

The formula is rather straightforward:
    depreciationPerDay = (purchasePrice – salvageValue)/estimatedUsefulLife/365.25.
    That’s the straight line depreciation per day. You can directly enter this in the calculation field.

The depreciated value will be purchasePrice – (today – purchaseDate) * depreciationPerDay. Or for the calculation field:
    depreciatedValue = purchasePrice – DAYS(purchaseDate;TODAY()) * depreciationPerDay

October 19, 2019 at 12:04 AM #37233

marscanbueno
    Participant

@sam – id be refreshing the formula on a day to day basis, or as often as im asked to generate the report. :(

@daniel
    – thanks that worked!

however, now im stuck.. with items that exceed the estimatedUsefulLife, i return a negative value. is there any possible way to get returned negative values to result to 0?

October 19, 2019 at 12:33 AM #37234

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Wrap the calculation in a MAX(0; [yourcalc]) and the MAX will ensure that it’s always at least zero.

October 19, 2019 at 12:49 AM #37237

marscanbueno
    Participant

@sam – damn! you guys are so on it!

i struggled to put this together:

IFEQUAL((LEFT(“depreciatedValue”,1)),”-“,”0″,”depreciatedValue”)

i like yours a lot better!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.