Calculate Field Won't Calculate After Importing

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Calculate Field Won't Calculate After Importing

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Paul Gobble
    Participant

I just purchased Tap Forms and am trying to get it up and running, but I’m having some problems.

I have a very simple form. Its the start of a database of students in a class. First I created a new form with a firstName field (text), a lastName field (text), and a unitedName field (Calculated) field which is calculated by adding the lastName and a hyphen and then the firstName. This worked perfectly for the first small group of student records I entered.

Then, feeling that everything was working well, I imported a few hundred more records into the form from a tab delimited text file which only contained the first and last names. The import correctly created new records in the form and correctly filled in the firstName and the lastName fields. But it did not calculate the unitedName field. That field is blank.

If I edit either the firstName or lastName fields in one of the imported records, the unitedName will then be calculated, but there’s no way I’m going to through each new record, edit the firstName, then remove the edit, just to get the unitedName to calculate. There’s got to be a way to trigger all of the unitedName fields to calculate either during import or just after, right?

How can I get this to happen? I’m eager for a productive response, Tap Forms could be a great solution if I can get it to work.

Thanks for your time.

– Paul

October 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM #11487

Leo
    Participant

I believe TF calculate only real time. Try adding another record and see if that works well.

Otherwise, it would be nice to have a recalculate button.

Leo

October 29, 2014 at 10:08 AM #11488

Paul Gobble
    Participant

Loe, I tired that. I after importing the new records (where the calculated unifiedName field did not calculate) I added a single new record manually. I type in a firstName field and the calculated unifiedName field updated. Then I typed in the lastName field and the calculated unifiedName field updated again, instantly. It worked just fine for the manually entered record, but the imported records stubbornly kept their unifiedName fields blank.

October 29, 2014 at 11:13 AM #11489

Leo
    Participant

Hi,

this means it works exactly as I thought. Every single record should be edited so recalculation take place.

I vote for a recalculation button. :-)

Leo

October 29, 2014 at 10:59 PM #11503

Brendan
    Keymaster

There’s a workaround. Just make a small change to the formula, even adding a space and then close the formula popover. That’ll update the calculations for that field.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.