Bug – Tap Forms seems to undo everything I typed in my note field

Tap Forms – Organizer Database App for Mac, iPhone, and iPad Forums Using Tap Forms Bug – Tap Forms seems to undo everything I typed in my note field

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author

obisbis
    Participant

While in the middle of typing a very long note, I recieved a text message notification. The app asked for my passcode, I typed it in. Then everything i had typed in my note before saving it was gone. I can repro this everytime.

Repro steps:

My sure you have a passcode set, start typing in a note field, ask somebody to send you a text message or wait for an alarm to go off or battery low message, you will be prompted for your passcode, enter it and notice your back to a blank note.

February 12, 2010 at 8:52 PM #3926

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello obisbis,

I have corrected this issue in my next update. Text and Note fields will save their contents in these situations.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 15, 2010 at 9:37 PM #3928

obisbis
    Participant

Great! thanks very much. I love your app!

-o

February 15, 2010 at 9:39 PM #3929

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve released Tap Forms 1.9 with this fix last night to Apple. Hopefully they will approve it quickly and you’ll have it in your hands soon.

Thanks!

Brendan

February 19, 2010 at 4:54 AM #3930

obisbis
    Participant

Hi Brendan, for some strange reason, after upgrading to version 1.9, some of my note fields seem to just go blank. This has happened twice now and I’m pretty sure I didn’t delete them. I opened the app, entered some text in the note field, saved, then went back to my form and entered text in another note field in another record, went back to the form and everything appeared to be there. Then I exited the app, opened it again a couple of hours later and the two note fields were blank. Other note fields were working properly. Have you seen this before?

I’ll see if it happens again and let you know.

February 19, 2010 at 5:00 AM #3931

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Osisbis,

Yikes. That’s not good. I didn’t see that in testing. But I’ll look into it right away.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 19, 2010 at 5:06 AM #3932

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hmm… I can’t seem to reproduce this issue. I’ll keep trying. But if you can write out everything step by step that you know will reproduce the issue, please let me know.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 19, 2010 at 7:11 AM #3933

Kevin L. Henley
    Participant

Havin a similar problem since upgrading to 1.9. When I duplicate a form then try to use it to create a record the record can’t be viewed. I save it and the form shows x number of records present but you can’t see them when you select it.

February 19, 2010 at 3:12 PM #3934

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Kevin,

I’ve tried to reproduce your problem, but it doesn’t seem to happen to me. The only thing I noticed is that when duplicating a form, I need to reset the sort & group settings. But other than that, it works.

Does this happen on one of the built-in forms? All forms, or just on your own custom forms?

If you could write out a step-by-step guide on how to re-create the problem, that would be very helpful. Please send it to me at support@tapforms.com

Thanks!

Brendan

February 20, 2010 at 12:42 AM #3935

obisbis
    Participant

This happened again today. There seems to be no pattern to it so it’s difficult to reproduce. This time data disappeared from Text as well as note fields. All I did was enter the data, save and exit. Re-opened the app 10 minutes later and 6 note/text fields were blank. Date and Checkbox controls were not affected, so it’s only clearing text from note and text fields as far as I could tell.

Btw, I’ve been using this app for the last 126 days (one record per day) and I use it at least 6-8 times per day to track daily activites/events/food I eat/etc. using custom forms. Yesterday was the first time that I noticed this strange behavior (in 2 different custom forms) — a day after upgrading to ver. 1.9. I also noticed sometimes it doesn’t prompt for a passcode even though the app was closed for longer than 5 minutes (Auto-Lock is set for “After 5 Minutes”.

The loss of data is more critical to me right now than the security issue. It’s kind of frustrating that I have to backup my data multiple time per day, but I do want to try to repro and share results with you so you could fix for users.

Maybe it happens when the device is low on memory?. Don’t know for sure.

I’ll keep trying to repro and let you know if I discover anything.

February 20, 2010 at 3:44 AM #3936

obisbis
    Participant

Ok, I think I can repro this everytime now on my iPhone 3G.

This only happens when I have a couple of other apps loaded in memory such as Mail and Safari.

Here is how I could reproduce the issue:

– Open the built-in Mail app on the iphone then exit (without killing the app) by pressing the home button

– Open the Safari app on the iphone then exit (without killing the app) by pressing the home button

– Open Tap Forms and either add some text in a new field or modify an existing one (in a custom form or built-in one, doesn’t matter)

– open a form that has the photo field in it and take a picture and add to your record

– Go back to the main Form screen

– Look at the field you had added/modified in an earlier step, should still be there

– Exit Tap Forms

– Open Tap Forms again and notice your field content is now blank

I can repro this everytime. I’m not sure if the Photo feature has something to do with it or it maybe just using too much memory causing the app to behave the way it does.

February 20, 2010 at 4:36 AM #3937

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Obisbis,

Thanks for your detailed steps to reproducing the bug. I was able to reproduce it too. It’s a very weird one.

Do you have the same problem if you don’t use the photo picker?

Now that I can reproduce it, I’m off to making a fix for it.

Thanks,

Brendan

February 20, 2010 at 5:07 AM #3938

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, I found the problem. Working on a fix.

Thanks for all your help.

Brendan

February 20, 2010 at 5:35 AM #3939

obisbis
    Participant

So far it looks like it’s just the photo picker. I tried the file attachment, Audio and Location controls and they all seemed fine.

Thanks very much for your quick response and work on this!

-o

February 20, 2010 at 5:09 PM #3940

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have fixed this bug. I will submit the fix to Apple this weekend. If Apple is as fast as they were last time, you should have the fix in a few days. But don’t quote me on that. Apple is a mysterious beast and you never know what they’ll do :-)

Thanks, and sorry for the bug.

Brendan

February 20, 2010 at 8:19 PM #3941

obisbis
    Participant

Great! thanks for quickly resolving this bug!

February 21, 2010 at 9:12 PM #3943

obisbis
    Participant

fyi…this happened again to me today and I was positive I didn’t use the photo picker. I did take a couple of pictures using the built-in camera app earlier before launching Tap Forms though.

February 21, 2010 at 9:15 PM #3944

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello obisbis,

Well, it’s not only when using the photo picker. It can happen anytime the app gets a memory warning. Just using the photo picker can trigger it every time since that uses so much memory, it always triggers a memory warning in the app.

Nonetheless, it’s fixed and I’m uploading it to Apple this evening for approval.

Thanks for your help with diagnosing this problem.

Brendan

February 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM #3945

obisbis
    Participant

Ok, great. Looking forward to the fix.

Thanks very much!

February 23, 2010 at 10:47 PM #3946

obisbis
    Participant

Just downloaded update 1.91. Thanks for fixing and posting so quickly. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

-o

February 26, 2010 at 12:09 AM #3947

obisbis
    Participant

Brendan, the latest update ver. 1.9.1 appears to still have this issue where notes go blank. This happened to me twice in the last 24 hours. The first time I thought I forgot to save, but this second time I was positive I had saved and in fact it was my third time modifying the same note. The entire note just went blank after exiting and re-launching the app.

Also, I used an app to check memory usage on my iPhone, and it looked like I had 18MB of free memory available after exiting Tap Forms. I didn’t think the memory was that low. So the issue isn’t occurring as frequent as it did in ver. 1.9 but I believe it’s still there.

-o

February 26, 2010 at 12:19 AM #3948

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok, that’s very odd. I checked and double-checked and the notes still stay after I quit.

I will have to do some more testing then. So sorry for the trouble. I really thought I had fixed it. I just tried it again now and it worked just fine. I type in a note, save, then quit, then launch again and the note is still there.

Back to the drawing board….

Thanks,

Brendan

February 26, 2010 at 12:28 AM #3949

obisbis
    Participant

Btw, I was able to reproduce just now following the same steps outlined above in this thread. This time though only note fields went blank and text fields seemed fine.

Yeah, this is really weird. On a positive note, I’m glad you have the backup/restore feature :-)

Thanks,

-o

February 26, 2010 at 12:34 AM #3950

Brendan
    Keymaster

Ok. I’ll get on it right away. Sorry again for the trouble.

February 26, 2010 at 1:03 AM #3951

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hello Obisbis,

Could you please send me your UDID for your iPhone to support@tapforms.com. I’d like to send you an ad-hoc build to make sure that I have it corrected this time. I believe the issue was that in my haste to release a fix, I neglected to make the same code changes to the Note field edit screen that I made to the Text field edit screen.

– mud on my face –

Thanks,

Brendan

February 26, 2010 at 3:57 AM #3952

obisbis
    Participant

I no longer can reproduce the issue in the ad-hoc build you sent me.

Thanks again!

-o

February 26, 2010 at 5:36 AM #3953

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have submitted Tap Forms 1.9.2 to Apple this evening which definitely corrects this problem now.

Plus as a bonus, the phone number formatter is improved and it should be a tad bit snappier and use a bit less memory.

Thanks,

Brendan

Viewing 26 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.