Bug in adding photos

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

When I create a new record, I click on the + button to add a photo but it takes about 25 seconds to load the Select Photos panel, and another 10 seconds to get the camera going to shoot a picture. Then it takes 40 seconds to appear in the Camera Roll panel, where two photos are selected, then pressing the Select button freezes and it takes another minute to add to the record. What’s going on here? Oh and it announces SIM Failure (something that only happens when I use Tap Forms 5!! I have to take out the SIM card to get AT@T again.)

Is this a colossal bug or what gives? Obviously I can’t use it like that. What should I do.

Also, in the old version I could take photos within Tap Forms 4 without saving to the camera roll. How come I can’t do that anymore?

Please answer right away with a remedy. Thanks. Lorenz

October 5, 2016 at 8:29 PM #19971

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

I should add that the whole app freezes when I tap the + button until it loads the Select Photos Panel…

October 5, 2016 at 10:41 PM #19973

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

Hmm… That’s a good question. How many photos do you have in your camera roll and other libraries? I’ve got about 1015 images in my camera roll and it loads up pretty quick.

But I see the issue with there being 2 selected. Or it appears that 2 are selected. I think really just one is selected (the new photo taken) and one is a dummy selection.

I’m going to work on letting you use the camera directly without it having to go to the photo library first or adding the new photo to your camera roll.

October 6, 2016 at 4:31 AM #19979

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

I have over 18,000 photos in my photo roll. But what’s weird is that it wasn’t a problem at the beginning. It only started a week ago. So I am wondering if there is corruption somewhere and perhaps I need to reinstall, something I hesitate doing because of the process it takes.

You should def. give users the option to save to camera roll, but by default it should just save within the app.

But what about the Invalid SIM? It only happens after I take a photo through the app… It’s beyond annoying as I have to eject the SIM card and re-insert.

October 6, 2016 at 9:21 AM #19981

Brendan
    Keymaster

I have never heard of that error message happening before. I can’t even imagine how Tap Forms would cause a hardware issue like that to occur. Maybe it’s time to re-install the operating system or something.

I’ve just added the ability to choose “Select a Photo” or “Camera” when you tap the (+) button now. So when you choose Camera, it goes right to the camera function and will save the photo taken directly into Tap Forms and will no longer add it to your camera roll. I’ve left the other camera function on the Select a Photo screen so you have the option. It will be in a forthcoming update (version 5.0.5 when I’m ready to release that).

October 6, 2016 at 9:28 AM #19983

W P
    Participant

FYI I have seen first hand that error message about the SIM card show up on iPhones after updating to iOS 10. Also heard from someone who has Verizon gets it more frequently. Haven’t heard how frequently it happens with ATT.

BTW: none of theses phones have Tap Forms on them.

October 6, 2016 at 9:34 AM #19985

Brendan
    Keymaster

BTW: none of theses phones have Tap Forms on them.

Well that problem is easily resolved :)

October 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM #19995

Lorenz Ehrsam
    Participant

Thanks Brendan for adding that camera feature. Much appreciated. Do you think reinstalling the app would help speed up things? Another bug is that in the list view 3 records stubbornly refuse to have the right size image, instead keeping a tiny thumbnail size. What’s the solution there?

October 7, 2016 at 8:53 AM #19996

Brendan
    Keymaster

Hi Lorenz,

I’m not sure if re-installing will speed it up or not. I don’t have any more than 1000 or so images in my library on my phone, so it doesn’t take that long to load it up.

Try changing the thumbnail size for the Photo field to see if that helps with the image size.

October 13, 2016 at 5:33 AM #20035

brucel
    Participant

Hi Brendan,
    Penny is dropping for me on this issue. You recall I previously posted under ‘photo element’ that I could not get photos to add on IOS unless I first edited them in some way on the iPad after which they would add fine.
    Now I notice the problem about long time to add photos mentioned in this post. I find on V 5.0.4 that when I hit the + button on the add photo the app appears to freeze but it eventually shows the photo library after nearly a minute! It was much faster on 5.0.3. I have 67,000+ photos in my iCloud Photo Library that are all synced on all my devices so my camera roll has this number of photos!
    I think this large library size may be the key to both problems.
    Regardless this is now a big problem for people with large libraries trying to add photos.
    Hope this is helpful.
    Regards
    Bruce

October 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM #20037

Brendan
    Keymaster

I’ve added a function to access the camera directly in version 5.0.5 without having to first go to the photo library. It could be slower now because in 5.0.4 I changed the code to show more of your synced photo albums. Maybe I should change that back to how it was before.

October 13, 2016 at 4:30 PM #20046

brucel
    Participant

Brendan,
    thanks for the update. I just installed 5.0.8 on MacOS and tested the delay in loading the photo library. Like the iPad it takes about 45-50 seconds to load the photos library (with 67,000+ photos) but once loaded performs fine. At least on the MacOS version there is a spinning wheel indication of ‘thinking’ whereas on IOS the app gives no indication and appears ‘frozen’ for this period.
    I love the added camera button as well as the + button for library.

I get the problem with large libraries. Agree you probably have to reduce the extent of synced photo albums as many people now have very large libraries (I have scanned all my old photos (10s of 1000s) and would add several thousand per year now).
    The reality is that people will probably want to add recent photos to a taprooms db.

Thanks for your prompt response as always and I hope my diagnostics info is helpful.

btw, I now really love how well the cloudant syncing works – very fast, seamless across all platforms and with absolute data integrity – it just ‘happens’. A delight after years of battling with the iCloud syncing.
    Infact I think I will put this on as a recommendation!
    kind regards
    Bruce

October 21, 2016 at 9:22 AM #20115

cd13
    Participant

Hi Brendan,

Recently I’ve been having the same problem as described by Lorenz. I didn’t have the delays when v5 was released.

Regards,

Chris

October 21, 2016 at 11:30 AM #20121

Brendan
    Keymaster

It could be in my zeal to add the ability to see synced libraries, that caused this performance problem. I’ll change it back to the way it was to see if that improves the performance. Although I don’t have that many photos so it’s never been a problem for me. But one of my beta testers has 30,000 and it was a problem for him. I’ll make the change and then send out a new beta and ask him how it performs with his library. But it does mean that the other libraries may not be visible anymore.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.