Breeding Records/Relationships

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Adrian Praeger
    Participant

Hi All,

New to tap forms so apologies if this is a basic question..

I am trying to use tap forms for the budgies that I breed. I wish to record their parentage. I created a form “Bird Record” with all the birds details, ring number etc. I then added a “link to” field called Father. It was set up as “Link to form” Bird Record (ie the same form that the field is in), Link Type: one to many. When I do this I am able to select the father with the tick, and all seems good. However when I go to the record of the father, his chick is selected as his father.

What am I doing wrong? How do I get around this?

thanks in advance
    Adrian

April 30, 2020 at 9:24 AM #40407

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

You should be able to tick the “create inverse relationship” box and it’ll create a “Link from Form” field for you that you can rename to not say “Father”.

Personally I think I’d go the other way and created it as “Fathered” and “Mothered” as the 1:M Link to Form, tick the “show inverse relationship” on both of those fields and then rename the “Link From Form” field to be “Father” and “Mother”. It actually feels like you might have done that but perhaps cross some wires along the way.

If you mess with your link fields a little too much, Tap Forms can get confused about how things are linked internally and their state so you might want to recreate the fields from scratch.

Does that make sense?

May 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM #40414

Adrian Praeger
    Participant

Thanks Sam for the advice. I have tried that however I still have an issue. I deleted all the link fields, and then restarted the program as I have been playing with the link fields to get this right.

However when I set it up the way you described, I have the following Issue.
    In the “Father” Bird, when I select the correct “Son” bird, in the “Father” bird record the “Fathered” Field shows the correct relationship, but the “Link from Form” field (renamed father) then shows the son as the father of the father.

When I add in a grandson and then look at the Son’s record, it shows its father correctly in the “Link from Field Father but in the Fathered field shows both the Grandson (correctly) and the father incorrectly.

something I may be doing wrong?
    thanks
    Adrian

May 1, 2020 at 9:26 PM #40418

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I just created a quick family tree, it was a little janky with the relationships setup but I think everything worked out ok. I see what you’re saying though, the relationships are messed up between the fields.

Attaching a quick TF archive that reproduced the issue for me. I just redid it again with a new form and a self-referential Link to Form/Link from Form seems to populate incorrectly. Also ticking the “Show inverse relationship” box didn’t update the UI properly either, the field was created but I’m guessing since it’s usually created in another form, the field list wasn’t triggered to update properly so I have to navigate elsewhere to get that reset properly.

Congrats on the bug!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.