Best Syncing – poll

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Eddzo
    Participant

For “PRO” Users…
    Whats your most SOLID, BEST, Reliable method of syncing.

iCloud is flaky,
    Even when I update my Contacts on the native iOS app
    It loses stuff in my notes, different emails in different names.
    With tapforms it loses my dam images, and I take ALOT of images. :)

Started using Apache CouchDB and it seems WAY more solid,
    But I can see myself getting limited on hard drive space on my laptop
    Therefore I think it may be a good idea to find something like Amazon Web Services or something.
    Not sure, before I really start building on Tapforms I want to iron out the Syncing foundation so my database can stand on it.

July 30, 2019 at 1:18 PM #36126

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

I prefer CouchDB, does require an investment in getting it setup properly but works reasonably solidly and I can get at my data. There is IBM’s Cloud (formerly Cloudant) platform which also implements CouchDB as well for folk to host as well as obviously being able to self host on AWS or your favourite platform.

July 31, 2019 at 11:43 PM #36136

Brendan
    Keymaster

I agree that Apache CouchDB is the most reliable. IBM Cloudant is good too, but there are restrictions on the free tier, such as a 1 GB limit and a record (including attachments) can only be up to 11 MB.

August 1, 2019 at 12:46 AM #36141

Guillaume Kuster
    Participant

Then shouldn’t iCloud sync be removed? It just doesn’t work as advertised.

I had loads of problems with it, including data loss in records, files attachments missing and several versions of the database depending on the device I would use.

I would end up with different versions of my document when using 4 devices (Phone, tablet, desktop and laptop) as I added data from these different devices. I spent many hours fixing these issues that are not supposed to exist when reading the documentation.

Maybe it’s time to admit it doesn’t work and avoid other customers loosing their time trying to sync using iCloud.

-Guillaume

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.