Best Sync Method

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Chris Ju
    Participant

Hi,

what could be the best Sync Method for the future (TF6). I am currently using CouchDB as a Docker container. But I would rather save myself the admin work and switch to Bonjour (via VPN when you are outside the LAN). Is Bonjour as reliable and fast as CouchDB? What about reliability and speed when several clients synchronize at the same time?

Thanks for your answers and suggestions…

Chris

October 4, 2021 at 3:19 PM #45371

Sam Moffatt
    Participant

Bonjour is just a discovery protocol, I think Nearby Sync technically uses Bonjour to find peer Tap Forms instances to do it’s sync already using the same underlying protocol as CouchDB except that CouchDB is bidirectional sync (TF can push changes immediately to the server and the server changes are pulled down) versus Nearby which is pull only (changes on your device don’t appear on the other until it pulls them). Bonjour generally uses multicast and doesn’t work over a VPN because those packets are generally dropped by the VPN server (not always but default configurations generally block multicast on WAN like links).

October 4, 2021 at 10:46 PM #45372

Chris Ju
    Participant

Thanks for the explanation regarding VPN/Bonjour. I think, i’ll wait for TF6 to be born…

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.